Generator tests good/new regulator/doesn't charge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Generator tests good/new regulator/doesn't charge

I have a 52 studebaker and it refuses to charge. The regulator is new and the generator tests good. Any Ideas???

Did You polarize it ?
    1961 Hawk ...4-Speed;4bc;Twin Traction

Ken Byrd
    Lewisville,NC

Comment

Yes, I did polarize it.

Comment

Are all grounds good ?
        Engine to frame.
        South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Are you checking for charge at a reasonable rpm? You won't see a charge at idle, like with an alternator.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Yup all grounds are good, and yes I am revving the motor at reasonable rpm to check it, but nothing is happening .On the amp gauge it stays @ 0 (middle of gauge) and when I touch bat and fld together to polarize the generator it goes to complete discharge until I remove the wire then it goes back to middle of gauge. Also when I hook a 6 volt charger to the battery,start the car and turn on the headlights, neither the needle on the amp gauge or the charger change (go to charging/discharging) and the lights don't get any brighter than when it's not plugged into a charger.

Comment

Racingmatt;
              First charge the 6 volt battery
              Disconnect the charger
              Turn on the head lights
              Does the amp meter show discharge?
              Start the car
              Does the amp meter show less of a discharge or a charge?
              If the above occurs the generator is working
              You should not keep the field and armature terminal connected; you should only have to flash them.
              Ron

Comment

Originally posted by rstrasser View Post
                Racingmatt;
                First charge the 6 volt battery
                Disconnect the charger
                Turn on the head lights
                Does the amp meter show discharge?
                Start the car
                Does the amp meter show less of a discharge or a charge?
                If the above occurs the generator is working
                You should not keep the field and armature terminal connected; you should only have to flash them.
                Ron
                All I did was flash them,and yes the battery is fully charged and when I turn on the headlights it goes to discharge (running or not). I know the generator is working becussed I tested it.

Comment

If you flashed the generator by touching the BAT to Field you may have destroyed the regulator. The BAT terminal should only be connected briefly to the ARM terminal. This produces some residual magnetism in the generator which is necessary to begin generating. Usually flashing is not required.
                  American iron, real old school
                  With two tone paint, it sure is cool

Its got 8 cylinders and uses them all
                  With an overdrive that just won't stall

With a 4 barrel carb and dual exhausts
                  With 4.23 gears it can really get lost

Its got safety belts and I ain't scared
                  The brakes are good and the tires are fair.

Tried to sell her, but got no taker
                  I"ll just keep driving my Studebaker

Comment

Racingmatt;
                    If as yo say there was no change between the engine running or not then the generator is not putting electricity into the battery. This all assumes that the wiring is correct.
                    Not knowing how you determined that the generator was good; that only leaves the regulator.
                    If you have a Delco generator then you need a regulator to match. A Delco generator is tested on a car by disconnecting the field wire from the generator and connection the field terminal to ground. The Ammeter should show full charge. Doing this takes the regulator out of the picture.
                    If you have a Autolite generator you need to know the model of the generator to determine how to test it. On some you ground the field terminal and on others you supply voltage to the field terminal.
                    Ron

Comment

Originally posted by greyben View Post
                      If you flashed the generator by touching the BAT to Field you may have destroyed the regulator. The BAT terminal should only be connected briefly to the ARM terminal. This produces some residual magnetism in the generator which is necessary to begin generating. Usually flashing is not required.
                      Well, this new regulator is for a Ford ( not sure of brand) and I thought All 6 volt regulators were the same. The instructions clearly stated to "touch the fld terminal to the bat terminal.

Comment

so..... you have a matching generator ? All regulators are "not" the same..... especially Delco/Autolite etc...

Comment

No; All regulators are not the same. It is best to use the regulator that is specified for the generator in use. Some generators control the field by supplying voltage to the field terminal others by grounding the field terminal. The regulator has to be able to handle the maximum output of the Generator.
                          Ron

Comment

An Autolite Regulator circuit as used in Studebaker Champions gets polarized OPPOSITE to a Delco as used on a Commander V8.
                            Using the STUDEBAKER Shop Manual is your best bet.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I am old enough that I have first hand knowledge on polarizing generators. You are getting so much good and not so good advice that your head is probably spinning. I once had a vocational science teacher who emphasized that the intelligent person was not the one who thought he knew everything but the one who knew where to look to find everything. That being said, get a service manual and follow it to the letter. all regulators are not the same, make sure you have a match, some regulators can be destroyed by just flashing the field terminal so test the regulator as rstrasser outlined. If the generator shows full charge then the regulator is kaput. By the way, if I remember correctly Ford used Prestolite (Autolite) 6-volt generators and regulators. Let us know how you make out
                              Hobert J. Shy
                              21103 Harriet
                              Romulus, MI 48174

Comment

Working...
                              X