Auto Trans seems to lock on start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Auto Trans seems to lock on start

63 Lark 289 with what I believe is a Borg Warner T4 ? Some times (not always) car will stall as if there is a drag on it when shifting into drive or reverse. After a few tries it is OK. I have upped the idle to 800 (not good) to try to get past this. Still no difference. Seems worse after being driven. Local transmission shop didn't seem interested in messing with it. If it comes to rebuild or repair Does anyone know of a shop in Michigan they would recommend? I am assuming that the problem is in fact the transmission.

May only be linkage position or bad trans or engine mounts, check the throttle rod especially for wear at the pivot, and try to get any "slop" out of the linkage first, to make sure it's really in the right "detent" in the trans itself and not partially between. If the linkage is tight and adjusted right and mounts good, try changing fluid, could be a sticking servo piston (low reverse). The trans is very similar to a Ford: Ford-O-Matic and Cruise-O-Matic of the same vintage, so there should still be repair shops familiar with that--they are too intent at looking at the "Studebaker" info only, and don't have any reference for it any more.

Comment

Thanks - That is a big help will get at it.

Comment

Working...
      X