PDA

View Full Version : Transmission: Column shift linkage adjustment ('53 Commander)

brngarage
07-19-2015, 08:14 PM
I just looked thru the Tech Tips section of this website and didn't see what I need, so here goes. I need to adjust the column shift linkage on a '53 Commander coupe. I read the procedure in the shop manual and it refers to using the Studebaker adjusting tool. There is no mention of a part number for the tool and no pictures. I have seen a couple threads here on the forum referring to using some sort of "tool" (maybe an allen wrench) to position the levers on the column, but the search function didn't turn them up for me. Can someone please post a picture of the adjusting tool and maybe a part number (or explain the procedure without using the Studebaker tool)? Thanks very much.

Dwain G.
07-19-2015, 09:26 PM
Special holding tools were used in some years, but a tool for the new 1953 linkage may have never existed. Don't see one in the Kent-Moore catalog either. A bulletin was published that shows a procedure without the use of any special tool. See it here on Bob Johnstone's site.

http://www.studebaker-info.org/TW/tw0408/tw0408p23.html

brngarage
07-19-2015, 09:58 PM
Thank you Dwain!