HINGES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HINGES

Just something that might be helpful to someone.

I discovered that when I took the two "obvious" bolts out of the door hinges on my 50 that I still could not get them out of the the body. After a while I considered the "bigger hammer" procedure but decided to not use brute force as I have found through experience that this usually results in my ruining something and costs me both time and money. I went on to other things and a few days later while searching for something else inside the area between the door post and the front fender I found the end of a bolt. Alas! and Ta Da!, the source of my problem was found, "hidden" deep inside the door hinge socket. I removed it and the hinge assembly came right out!

1950 2 timer
    sigpicJimmie
    Orange County, Indiana
    1950 CHAMPION -ORANGE COUNTY, INDIANA

Yep, each hinge has 3 bolts. I recently posted a thread about some "missing" nuts inside the pillar on mine. They must have gotten loose when a previous owner did exactly what you are doing - removing the doors. I culdn't replace the missing bots, because there was nothing to screw into inside the pillar. I was able to weld a nut to a coat hangar and fish each nut through holes in the kick panel, then break off the hangar when tight. Be sure to use nuts with integral lock washers, so you don't need to put a wrench on the nut... you'll never get a wrench back there.

I was told that these nuts were held in cages behind the pillar instead of just welded in, I believe there was some movement allowed for minor adjustment of the door alignment.

Las Vegas, NV
    '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Comment

Working...
    X