The trunk lock fixed itself.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The trunk lock fixed itself.

Ok, I finished replacing the motor mounts on my GT today and rolled up the car cover throw it in the trunk and took her for a spin. So, I get back and go to open the trunk to get the car cover and the trunk won't open. This is very odd because the trunk lock hasn't worked the whole time I've had the car, which is OK because I don't have a key for the trunk lock anyway. Well now I need to get the darn thing unlocked anybody know how to pick a Studebaker truck lock?
    Last edited by wlfrench; 07-18-2015, 07:37 PM.
    I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!

sigpic

You may have to remove the back seat and open the latch from inside. I have had to do that a couple of times. When I got my 52 the latch had slipped enough that the key would not open the trunk. I had to remove stuff that was shipped inside the trunk before I could get to the latch and trip it. Lots of fun...
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

I may be wrong but I don't think you can get to the trunk latch through the back seat of a GT.

sigpic

Comment

Try the trunk key from cars owned by some of your friends. Not a lot of combinations. I once unlocked the trunk on a 62 GT with my 64 Avanti's glove box key.

Denny L

Comment

Wayne, You will be able to access once the seat is removed "You may need to use a lengthy extension on a ratchet so less of YOU have to snake inside" .two bolts will get the striker off the rear panel to start with.
          Originally posted by wlfrench View Post
          I may be wrong but I don't think you can get to the trunk latch through the back seat of a GT.
          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Wow, would you ask your GT trunk lock to have a little talk with mine and explain it how to fix itself...I haven't been able to.
            Lou Van Anne
            62 Champ
            64 R2 GT Hawk
            79 Avanti II

Comment

Originally posted by Green53 View Post
              Try the trunk key from cars owned by some of your friends. Not a lot of combinations. I once unlocked the trunk on a 62 GT with my 64 Avanti's glove box key.

Denny L
              Good point, Denny. Growing up around my granddad's yard full of Studes, I had one key on my keyring that would open the trunks on almost all of them.

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
                Wayne, You will be able to access once the seat is removed "You may need to use a lengthy extension on a ratchet so less of YOU have to snake inside" .two bolts will get the striker off the rear panel to start with.
                What works great is a small grandchild who knows how to work a ratchet. I once put one through the back side window of an Avanti I had locked the keys in.
                Neil Thornton

Comment

With a 63 you can get in through removal of the back seat if you have a skinny friend! There was no way I could pretzel myself to fit (6'1" 240lbs), but my thin Scottish friend got in there no worries to trip the latch - ( usual - the wire joining key assembly to latch had "jumped off".)

Comment

None of my friends has a car older than mid 2000's so I don't think any of those keys will even fit. I guess the back seat is coming out and I'll have to gather up all my socket extensions. And today would have to be the hottest and most humid day of the summer so far.

sigpic

Comment

Wow Neil, that's a tight squeeze for sure. hope the little Tike got a ride afterwards for payment
                      Originally posted by rockinhawk View Post
                      What works great is a small grandchild who knows how to work a ratchet. I once put one through the back side window of an Avanti I had locked the keys in.
                      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
                        Wow Neil, that's a tight squeeze for sure. hope the little Tike got a ride afterwards for payment

We were at a zone meet in Memphis. He managed to unlatch the rear quarter window with a coat hanger between the door window and the B pillar. Reached in with a screwdriver, unscrewed the latch and swung the rear quarter window open all the way, and put me in feet first.

I was a very skinny 10 year old.

Comment

That's when I met my friend Nollie Hinton (RIP)! he helped me put G-son through the window,and never let him forget it! Nollie's Avanti and mine tied for 1st place at that meet.
                          Neil Thornton

Comment

None of my friends has a car older than mid 2000's so I don't think any of those keys will even fit. I guess the back seat is coming out and I'll have to gather up all my socket extensions. And today would have to be the hottest and most humid day of the summer so far.
                            That is when going to a SDC Event can help, Local Chapter Monthly Meetings, Zone Meets etc. should net at least a half dozen Trunk Keys, it usually takes no more than 3 to find a winner!
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Use the Stude's ignition key, and just jiggle it a bit, and it will likely open right up. If that is too simple, remove the gas tank, and use a hand held grinder to cut a square hole in the trunk floor about 18" x 18". Then, you can climb up into the trunk with a flashlight and release the latch with your finger.

Most problems with Studes can be simple, or complicated. Its up to the individual.
                              Last edited by JoeHall; 07-19-2015, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X