Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asking advice about parts, flywheel, clutch disc, pressure plate for 1951 commander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch / Torque Converter: Asking advice about parts, flywheel, clutch disc, pressure plate for 1951 commander

Hello, My first post here. I am replacing the 232 in my 51 commander and the engine I bought came with an auto-trans. My 3-spd. O.D. trans. and bell housing is still in the car so I am missing some parts. I assume I will be looking for a flywheel, clutch disc, pressure plate, pilot bearing and throwout bearing. Am I forgetting anything here? Thank You, Barney In Colorado. ps Car to remain 6 volt.

You don't have these items from your original engine? You will have to change the flywheel bolts also, to std shift (longer bolts). Oil pan has to come off and rear main. Be sure to install new rear main seal

Comment

Barn....Parts from a '51-'55 V8 passenger car should work here.

Comment

If you are bolting a different engine to your bell housing you will have to dial indicate the bell housing as well.
        Frank van Doorn
        Omaha, Ne.
        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

The '51 to '54 Cars have the shallow Clutch housing for the tiny Clutch not compatible with a '55 to '64 259 or 289.

So Ad a '55 to '57 Square Trans. bolt pattern Clutch Housing to fit your '51 trans. to your list to buy.

The late Flywheels '55-'64 accept a 10 inch or 10 1/2 Inch Clutch, but Only a '55 would have the course tooth ring gear you need for a 6 volt Starter, but you can change Ring Gears.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
          X