Daily driver commuter with A/C that will go 75 mph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily driver commuter with A/C that will go 75 mph

I'm looking for a daily driver with A/C that will go 75 on the turnpike. My commute is 50 miles - am I crazy to think a Stude would be a good option? I love my Champ truck. If not a Stude, what's another old car that would make a good commuter. I can't see buying a $40,000 car that doesn't make me as happy as a Studebaker.

Thanks,
    Adam
    Attached Files

The VERY FIRST requirement would be either a 3 Speed Manual WITH Overdrive, or a THM 2004R/700R4 GM conversion to Automatic Overdrive.
    You should get 19-24 MPG and 70-75 MPH without a problem with a 259 or 289 V8 and the right Axle Ratio, probably 3.07 or 3.31 Dana Model 44 Stock Stude.

Then will come the upgrade to Disc. Front Brakes and '63-'66 11 Inch Finned Drum Rear setup for Front Disc. to handle the Speed.

This should easily be under Half the Price of a New "Plastic Bar of Soap" transportation device.

OH! You will also need a '59 to '66 Lark or Lark Type in your choice of Body Styles.

Of course 95% of the Studes. you find will need the Vintage Air A/C Conversion added to meet your requirement.

Good hunting!
    Last edited by StudeRich; 07-16-2015, 02:04 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      The VERY FIRST requirement would be either a 3 Speed Manual WITH Overdrive, or a THM 2004R/700R4 GM conversion to Automatic Overdrive.
      You should get 19-24 MPG and 70-75 MPH without a problem with a 259 or 289 V8 and the right Axle Ratio, probably 3.07 or 3.31 Dana Model 44 Stock Stude.

Then will come the upgrade to Disc. Front Brakes and '63-'66 Rear Drum setup for Front Disc. to handle the Speed.

This should easily be under Half the Price of a New "Plastic Bar of Soap" transportation device.

OH! You will also need a '59 to '66 Lark or Lark Type in your choice of Body Styles.
      That's some very good advice. It's much more important to go from 75 to 0 than getting up to that speed quickly.
      Gary

Comment

agree with Rich (except for limiting your search to a Lark).

one thing i might possibly add is radial tires for a commute in most all weather, and handling.
        Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
          agree with Rich (except for limiting your search to a Lark)./Cut/
          There is good reason for that, I tried to hold the cost to $20,000.00.
          And for a Driver, you do not want to risk driving a Hawk or Avanti and certainly nothing Older on today's roads for 36,500 Miles a year!
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

i understand your logic, Rich - but - who knows what could be found "out there" that has many of the things the OP is looking for already completed at a decent price. i was thinking Hawk more than Avanti. a Lark/Lark type would be fine, but i wouldn't just look for one model.

i hope that makes sense.
            Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

There's also the Avanti's from 66 on. Buy a good one for less than $10K, SBC powered so overdrive upgrade is cheap and easy. Comfortable with a fiberglass body and Better Dana 44 flanged axle rear end. Upgrade to Turner disc brakes for ease of replacement, you should already have a dual master cylinder etc.

Most come with AC but an upgrade is an option

All the style of a Studebaker with the ease of upkeep and upgradability of the later SBC drivetrain. Easy to make go and stop with today traffic.

Comment

Well...in my younger days, I would have been right there with you. In fact, when I was the head of my own company, I drove a V8 automatic 1960 Lark. I installed the A/C myself and used the car covering several states for about three years. However, once I became an "employee" again...it soon became obvious that not everyone I had to answer to had the same admiration for my Old Car as I did. Not all people understand the intellect, hard work, and dedication it takes to keep a vintage car in good condition. In fact, some take it as a personal affront, that you are unwilling to use the good money they are paying you to use transportation that reflects well on them and the company you are working for. Even if you think it is none of their business, it is a reality we must take into account.

In the days our cars were built, a common practice was to replace points, condenser, and spark plugs every 10 to 12 thousand miles. At thirty to fifty thousand miles, it was serious "trade-in" time. At seventy thousand miles, discussions of overhaul, suspension work, and re-upholstery were taking place. And...few people commuted 50 miles, one way, each day.

I'd recommend looking for a decent used car, with reputable/reliability, and invest in a good driver Studebaker for a fair weather fun trip when it's convenient. I love my Studebaker vehicles as good as the next, and, even when I was an "employee," used them as door openers/conversation starters that got me some of the best accounts I ever had. That said, nothing can bring the old car fun experience to an end faster than having a breakdown at a high stress, inconvenient critical moment (and they're never convenient), or worse, loosing your job because of an irritated boss.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                  There's also the Avanti's from 66 on. Buy a good one for less than $10K, SBC powered so overdrive upgrade is cheap and easy. Comfortable with a fiberglass body and Better Dana 44 flanged axle rear end. Upgrade to Turner disc brakes for ease of replacement, you should already have a dual master cylinder etc.

Most come with AC but an upgrade is an option

All the style of a Studebaker with the ease of upkeep and upgradability of the later SBC drivetrain. Easy to make go and stop with today traffic.

'Old SN-60' couldn't have said it better himself Bob!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post

I'd recommend looking for a decent used car, with reputable/reliability, and invest in a good driver Studebaker for a fair weather fun trip when it's convenient.
                    .....X2
                    Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
                      .....X2
                      You are kidding of course!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                        You are kidding of course!
                        Nope...I like John's idea from a cost/benefit standpoint. Bob's is a close second.

Another option is a Stude like Treblig is building over in the Tech Forum, but I'm afraid it might be over budget for this application.
                        Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Wow! What a topic. For many years my daily driver Studebaker was either a 52 Commander with Overdrive, 62 Gt with 4 Speed and 65 Cruiser with A/T and 3.07 or a 56 President Classic with AT/3.31.
                          My current daily driver is a 97 Olds 88 with now 60,000 miles that I inherited from a lol (little old lady) that I drove around (miss daisy) for 15 years. I took a trip to Reno from Tucson at Thanksgiving getting 400 miles on a tank or 26 mph very smooth comfortable and all highway speeds. Of course at 63, my commute days for the job are over. Yet, I have seen both sides of the fence on this issue.

For years, I always have wanted to drive to an International meet in a Studebaker and when my 55 is done, I plan on doing that. I will plan on stopping every hour or so just for my comfort and enjoyment. My perspective on a long drive in a Studebaker has been tempered by a long trip I did take about 10 years ago. I did a marathon drive in two days 2,000 miles trip to deliver a car. I was completely worn out by the time I got there and then did a quick turnaround in another vehicle, a Dodge Conversion Van.

Nothing will make your life and job miserable if you have a car that you cannot arrive rested after the trip and knowing you have to climb in that old "sled" and head home. I could recommend a newer car that I always found comfortable and economical. I worked for a time at a correctional facility that was 60 miles one way and picked up a $900 car that was perfect for me. Comfortable, 30 mph and even though it has 130,000 miles and need paint and body work, the interior still was good. It was a Nissan Altima. Others probably have a favorite as well so check into all options before you leap into this.

Okay, I have my laser shields up and full up on dilethim crystals so fire away!

Bob Miles
                          Tucson AZ
                          Last edited by 6hk71400; 07-16-2015, 06:14 PM. Reason: correction

Comment

If your Champ is a v8 start fixing it like you want it.

A rear axle swap is a good start. Taller tires. Modern disc brake system. Ac. All good upgrades.

Comment

An Avanti is the the choice for me. I hope to finish what will become my daily driver in the next month. 64 Avanti , small block Chevy, 200 r trans, Ford 9 inch rear end, four wheel disc, Recaro seats, Air conditioning, Dynamat insulated interior, etc, etc.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2948.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	1699383Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2949.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	1699384

Bob Caser
                              mrbobinc

Comment

Working...