Avanti Rear Drums needed Used???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti Rear Drums needed Used???

Okay, I give up. Need to replace the rear drums on my Avanti to pass brake test, mine too far beyond .080 to get the linings to stop it. New ones are out of the question, as they will only be on the car till I can afford a rear end swap which will eliminate them completely. Prefer some in driving distance from southern Delaware, too expensive to ship. If this were 2-6 years ago I could get them through the swap site, but that was then and this is now. Any offers or suggestions on a source.

What year Avanti? The rear brakes changed sometime in the early '70s.

Best bet to find good used would be Myer's Studebaker, Nostalgic Motors or maybe Studebaker International. Some of the other vendors that advertise in Turning Wheels might be able to help as well.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
      What year Avanti? The rear brakes changed sometime in the early '70s.

Best bet to find good used would be Myer's Studebaker, Nostalgic Motors or maybe Studebaker International. Some of the other vendors that advertise in Turning Wheels might be able to help as well.
      1963 Avanti 11" standard Bendix type
      Therein lies the distance problem. Most have new ones they would like to sell, at $200.00 or $150.00 each without hubs, again this is a temporary solution for me. Even thought of finding new super thick relined shoes, like a prior owner did to get by, but that goes against my nature of doing it "right". Thanks for the suggestion though--maybe some one who has done a Turner rear disk conversion?

Comment

Originally posted by karterfred88 View Post
        1963 Avanti 11" standard Bendix type
        Therein lies the distance problem. Most have new ones they would like to sell, at $200.00 or $150.00 each without hubs, again this is a temporary solution for me. Even thought of finding new super thick relined shoes, like a prior owner did to get by, but that goes against my nature of doing it "right". Thanks for the suggestion though--maybe some one who has done a Turner rear disk conversion?
        I have some 11" drums. Are you going to the meet in St Louis? Or know someone in your area that is going that could bring them back for you?
        If any of that is doable for you, I'll dig them out and measure them.
        John

Comment

Originally posted by JLB View Post
          I have some 11" drums. Are you going to the meet in St Louis? Or know someone in your area that is going that could bring them back for you?
          If any of that is doable for you, I'll dig them out and measure them.
          John
          PM sent, I'm afraid to go to the meet, might need a U-Haul to get home!!

Comment

I'll have some at the meet.
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
              I'll have some at the meet.
              Thanks Bez, but, besides being afraid to go there, my wife scheduled that week for my grandkid's summer visit. If they are off the hubs, shipping is not too bad via priority mail, but with the hubs, get stuck using UPS and FedEx which, due to weight gets up there quick.

Comment

Remember that Greyhound still carries freight.
                Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post
                  Remember that Greyhound still carries freight.
                  Yes as a last resort, but that means the sender has to have a convenient depot and the receiver be close to a depot for pickup or delivery that is available. Closest one to me is 40 miles and delivery surcharges apply, if the sender is close to a depot and can drop off it is a good way to go. But drums without the hubs fit in priority 15x15x4 1/2 boxes and go cheaper USPS.

Comment

I don't know why everybody nowadays makes drum brakes a mystery. If the drums are worn then we used to get the shoes with oversize linings. Be careful not to let the linings get too worn or not to overheat and warp the brake drums and you were good to go. Back then when new or relined brake shoes were installed they were arced or fitted to the drums. I have one of the measuring tools for doing this, the inside part measuring the inner drum and the outside measuring the outside of the brake shoes. It is also useful to figure out how thick to make your oversize linings. In the 60-70's I was regularly driving at 70-90mph with cars that had 10* Delco-Remy drum brake systems and had no problem stopping. I guess today everybody wants an complicated and expensive solution to a simple problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikado282 View Post
                      I don't know why everybody nowadays makes drum brakes a mystery. If the drums are worn then we used to get the shoes with oversize linings. Be careful not to let the linings get too worn or not to overheat and warp the brake drums and you were good to go. Back then when new or relined brake shoes were installed they were arced or fitted to the drums. I have one of the measuring tools for doing this, the inside part measuring the inner drum and the outside measuring the outside of the brake shoes. It is also useful to figure out how thick to make your oversize linings. In the 60-70's I was regularly driving at 70-90mph with cars that had 10* Delco-Remy drum brake systems and had no problem stopping. I guess today everybody wants an complicated and expensive solution to a simple problem.
                      Where can you get oversize linings done? No relining facilities local that I can find, any recommendations?

Comment

Originally posted by karterfred88 View Post
                        Where can you get oversize linings done? No relining facilities local that I can find, any recommendations?
                        Not local to you but Minneapolis Brake and Equipment is a very good place for brake work and related parts.

Comment

Working...
                        X