Land Cruiser vs Commander Sedan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Land Cruiser vs Commander Sedan?

What is the difference between a Land Cruiser and a 4 Dr Commander of the same year model? (1947-1954)

The Land Cruiser for 1950 was 4" longer wheel base and had vent windows in the rear doors.

It also had a one piece curved windshield instead of 2 piece flat glass. It also had a rear seat fold down arm rest and delux trim, like stainless mud guards.

Comment

Land Cruisers to 1954, '55 President States, '56-'57 President Classics, '58 President Sedans and '61 Lark Cruisers are all built on a Longer Wheelbase Luxury Sedan Body and Frame called a "Y" Body, than the standard 4 Door Sedans called and I.D.'d as "W" bodies.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

So basically, the longer wheelbase and extra trim makes the Land Cruiser different from the same year 4 Dr. Commander?

Comment

Because of the extra length, the Land Cruiser has a vent wing in the rear door. The extra glass is an easy way to tell a Land Cruiser from a 4 door sedan at a glance.
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

An older Turning Wheels article detailed on the rocker panel how the body was extended. All the extra length went into the back seat. Having owned a 52 Commander Sedan and a 48 Land Cruiser, you can see and feel the difference in the seat position. As far as driving difference, the 48 drove different than the 52, but that was because of suspension change from the Planer Suspension in 48 and king pins in the 52. To me, the 52 Commander was the best riding and driving Studebaker sedan that I ever had. I think it has to do with the overall balance of the car.

Bob Miles
            Tucson AZ

Comment

Thanks for the comments. I would like to own one of the two, but didn't know what each had to offer. The 4 Dr Commanders seem to cost less than the same year Land Cruiser, so I was curious as to what I would be giving up by going with the cheaper one.

Comment

Go for the Land Cruiser, if you have the option.

Comment

Through the late 60's and early 70's I only drove two 1950 Commanders and my 1952 Land Cruiser. All three rode great and I liked them all. I have a 1950 Land Cruiser I'd like to restore and drive also. I think you will enjoy either the Commander or Land Cruiser. My 1950 Champion has less horse power, but I also enjoy driving that. For all out ride and space you will want the Land Cruiser, but don't pass up a good deal on the Commander.

Comment

Hi jozek

All Y-Body Land Cruisers and successors were Studebakers longest-wheelbase, top-of-the-line sedan based on the W-Body Commander. The four inches of additional wheelbase is inserted into the rear passenger area, gives much more legroom for rear seat passengers. Being their top model, interiors are always their best effort in material and design. Features such as fold-down rear seat armrest (except 1957 & 1958 when that was the Packard exclusive) and rear door vent windows were standard. The longer wheelbase contributes to a smoother, more comfortable ride.

Although these were their most expensive sedan available, they comprised an average ten percent of annual sedan sales throughout the period, popular with loyal Studebaker owners. Finding good original and restored examples from every model year is quite easy, just decide what years appeals most and start your search. As additional inducement, because they are in less demand than the popular convertibles, Starlight coupes, C/K/Hawks, Larks and wagons, are very attractively priced relative to model year and condition. Good Luck in your pursuit, should you choose to become a Y-Body owner.

Steve

Comment

To add to 56h-Y6's comments. Not long after I had put my Land Cruiser back on the road. (It had been stored for over thirty years.) I took it to a cruise-in. After I arrived, a 1951 Cadillac pulled in and parked beside me. With no prompting whatsoever, several people made some not so flattering remarks about the Cadillac when comparing the two cars side by side. I got along great with the Cadillac guy. However, the last straw came when a local well known collector came by and commented, "I don't see how anyone would want to buy one of these Cadillacs when something like this Land Cruiser was available for less money!"

Click image for larger version

Name:	fathersda.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	1699371

With that...the Cadillac owner quietly folded his chair, and drove away. Sometimes, you just gotta develop a tough skin, and not allow remarks to mess up your day. No matter what your interests, hobbies, or pursuits...enjoy them within yourself. If you are seeking the approval of "others," you give them the power to ruin your day. In addition to the "thumbs-up" I get with my cars...I also get the jabs.

Even among our SDC folks, there are plenty who never give much thought to our big four door sedans. To do so, is to miss some of Studebaker's finest work.
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                        Even among our SDC folks, there are plenty who never give much thought to our big four door sedans. To do so, is to miss some of Studebaker's finest work.
                        Agreed, Studebaker's are unique at any car show, but if you do see one, it's most likely not going to be a four door. I've had mine for about a year now and everyone seems to enjoy it. In the end, it's all about having fun and making memories.
                        1956 Studebaker President Classic

Member of the Studebaker Drivers Club

Member of the Antique Automobile Club of America, Sugarloaf Mountain Region Historian

Mt. Airy, Maryland

http://instagram.com/theorphanpresident/

www.saturdaythe14th.wordpress.com (Blog)

Comment

I want a 4 Dr. so I can "pile in" a Studebaker cheering team!

dr.

Comment

Hi

Glad to know our 'salesmanship' has convinced you of your correct decision to pursue a sedan, especially a Y-Body for your next Studebaker purchase!

Steve

Comment

There was a beautiful green 1950 Land Cruiser at Annandale yesterday. I'll post a few pictures of it later when I find my camera.

Comment

Working...
                              X