Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: Ballast resistor

Hi all,
    My 1961 259 engine has a Delco Remy coil bolted to the inlet manifold and also has a ballast resistor next it. I take it that the coil must be a 9 volt unit. Were these engines set up like this from the factory or has someone added this ballast resistor? The engine runs sweet but seems to spin over for a time before firing up. Any advice would be helpfull.
    Cheers, Ron.

Yes the ballast resistor came from the factory.
    You can check the data here:http://www.studebaker-info.org/tech/.../sun60x66.html
    Scroll just a little until you find your car.
    sigpic

Comment

The ballast resistor should have a resistance of about 1.5 ohms and should have a wire connected between the positive side of the coil to the I terminal of the starter solenoid. The bypass wire temporarily sends a full 12 volts to the coil for easier starting. Also be sure that the coil you have is meant to be used with an external resistor. You can check it with an ohmmeter if you aren't sure. The resistance should be about 1.5 ohms if the coil is to be used with a resistor and around 3 ohms if the resistor if the resistor is built into the coil. Bud

Comment

Originally posted by christophe View Post
        Yes the ballast resistor came from the factory.
        You can check the data here:http://www.studebaker-info.org/tech/.../sun60x66.html
        Scroll just a little until you find your car.
        Thanks a lot Christophe,

That tells me everything I need to know.
        Cheers, Ron.

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
          The ballast resistor should have a resistance of about 1.5 ohms and should have a wire connected between the positive side of the coil to the I terminal of the starter solenoid. The bypass wire temporarily sends a full 12 volts to the coil for easier starting. Also be sure that the coil you have is meant to be used with an external resistor. You can check it with an ohmmeter if you aren't sure. The resistance should be about 1.5 ohms if the coil is to be used with a resistor and around 3 ohms if the resistor if the resistor is built into the coil. Bud
          Thanks for the reply Bud, I'm off to the garage to do some checks right now.
          Cheers, Ron.

Comment

Everything checked out at 1.5 ohms and working OK now, the only thing wrong was the starting voltage wire missing from the starter solenoid.
            Cheers, Ron.

Comment

It may spin over for a while before starting because it needs to fill the carb with gas before it starts.

Comment

I'm glad to hear that you got everything sorted out. I've seen the problem with the bypass wire when someone converts an electrical system from 6 to 12 volts. I had a problem with the starter solenoid on my 62 Hawk a few years ago with hard starting. It turned out that the bypass contact inside of the solenoid had failed so the solenoid didn't bypass the resistor when the key was turned to the start position. That problem was a pain to find. Bud

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
                  I'm glad to hear that you got everything sorted out. I've seen the problem with the bypass wire when someone converts an electrical system from 6 to 12 volts. I had a problem with the starter solenoid on my 62 Hawk a few years ago with hard starting. It turned out that the bypass contact inside of the solenoid had failed so the solenoid didn't bypass the resistor when the key was turned to the start position. That problem was a pain to find. Bud
                  Thanks for the info Bud, It's a sweet running motor now.
                  Cheers, Ron.

Comment

Glad to hear everything is OK. Enjoy your Lark now. I suppose it's a Lark beacuse you have a 259.
                    Nice day to all.
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X