T86 shift lever oil seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: T86 shift lever oil seals

How do I change the shift lever oil seals for the T86 trans? Can I do it without removing the shift forks and shafts?
    Thanks!! again

I have been looking at my shop manual and it only mentions installing new seals while reassembling the trans. I am thinking of resealing my T86 transmission and it may have to come all the way apart. Hopefully, one of the forum regulars who has done this a few times will chime in with the details.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

They are a regular metal-cased lip-type oil seal. Given that the exterior shift levers are bolted onto the shafts, and that no part of the shaft end exceeds the nominal diameter of the shaft, you can change them. Get a small sharp probe like an ice pick, and drive it into the face of the seal, being careful not to nick the shaft, then lever it out. Apply a little grease to the new seal and shaft, and drive it into place with a suitable piece of tubing, perhaps a deep socket.

Having said this, it's my observation that the shift lever shaft seals are rarely going to cause major leaks. They are above the static oil level, and there is little motion on those shafts to wear the seals out. Most likely leak points are gasketed joints, rear seal, speedo pinion adapter, and overdrive components, where present.
      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Mine leaked and I replaced them, like Gord said, without removing the shift fork shafts. Just remove the levers, CLEAN AREA AROUND shafts, and use a awl to remove the old seals. Then CLEAN THE AREA where the seal goes in. Use a little thin coat of sealer on the outside metal part and use something like a deep well socket of the appropriate size, to reinstall seal. Did I mention CLEAN??

Quick note: Be sure the trans is not overfull before you start.

Comment

Here's what I use. A remover and an installer.

Jerry Forrester
          Forrester's Chrome
          Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Good to know. I have not delved into transmissions much
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

Great information, thanks for all the input!!

Comment

Where did you get the seals? Any idea of part number?

Comment

Great!! Thanks. All three are the same size right?

Comment

Originally posted by Mmcghee1024 View Post
                    Great!! Thanks. All three are the same size right?
                    There compatibility tab will tell you if it fits your application. They all refer to the same part number. These are one of the easiest parts to find as Borg Warner transmissions were used in hundreds of different models and many makes of cars over the years.

Yes, they are the same size if you want to replace the manual transmission shift shafts seals. There are two. 1st and reverse, 2nd and 3rd? Three seals, all shift shaft???

Same for t86,t90, t96 but I don't think they fit a t89.

Len
                    Last edited by Guest; 01-28-2016, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skybolt View Post
                      There compatibility tab will tell you if it fits your application. They all refer to the same part number. These are one of the easiest parts to find as Borg Warner transmissions were used in hundreds of different models and many makes of cars over the years.

Yes, they are the same size if you want to replace the manual transmission shift shafts seals. There are two. 1st and reverse, 2nd and 3rd? Three seals, all shift shaft???

Same for t86,t90, t96 but I don't think they fit a t89.

Len

I looked at the compatibility, nothing under 1940 commander....like you said it's probably the same for different years, just not sure what years.....

thanks,
                      mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mmcghee1024 View Post
                        I looked at the compatibility, nothing under 1940 commander....like you said it's probably the same for different years, just not sure what years.....

thanks,
                        mike
                        Probably they don't list cars that old. If it is a t86 and the same as other Studebaker t86 transmissions then the Studebaker part number will be 674869. If that is the part number for your application then it is the same for the other models.

If you don't already get a hold of a chassis parts book for your car. It makes working on them much easier if you need to find parts or see how it is assembled via the diagrams. Also, using the Studebaker part number one can cross reference other Studebaker models for sourcing parts.

Len

Comment

Probably they don't list cars that old. If it is a t86 and the same as other Studebaker t86 transmissions then the Studebaker part number will be 674869. If that is the part number for your application then it is the same for the other models.

If you don't already get a hold of a chassis parts book for your car. It makes working on them much easier if you need to find parts or see how it is assembled via the diagrams. Also, using the Studebaker part number one can cross reference other Studebaker models for sourcing parts.

Len
                          Thanks Len!!

Comment

Len

Ive tried that part number for the seals, they are too big....any ideasClick image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender(1).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	1703569Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	1703570
                            Last edited by Mmcghee1024; 01-30-2016, 07:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X