New Guy, Simple Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: New Guy, Simple Question

I just joined this forum recently to stay better informed on Studebakers. I have two that I love and are pictured below ... a 1947 Champion Deluxe and a 1952 1/2 ton pickup. I had never owned a Studebaker before, but always have this picture of a black & white 1957 Studebaker President in my head that I saw as a 9-year-old. I thought (and still do) it was the most beautiful car in the world, but didn't say much about it at the time because my family and relatives were all Plymouth, Chevy, and Fords. But, I've never forgotten that fabulous Studebaker!

Specifically, as I was looking over the motor on my new pickup, I discovered this (pic #3) ... shouldn't that be re-greased and have a cap on it? If so, where can I get one?

I will sure appreciate any help or suggestions down the road and will try to be a competent Studebaker owner and promoter. Thanks!
    Attached Files

I can not help with question, but you could try the Studebaker truck forum. There are plenty of truck guys there and I am sure they can give you an answer.

Comment

Good suggestion JBJR! Now I have a typical new guy question ... how do I find the Truck Forum?

Comment

Google "Studebaker truck talk". It'll come right up. On network54.

Comment

Try this. http://www.network54.com/Forum/23885
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Hey...Welcome to our forum! You were given some good info regarding the truck forum, but nothing addressing your question. You are missing a press-in cap for your under hood "shifter" linkage box (I'm not sure of the correct technical name). And yes, it should be lubricated and covered. Until you find the correct metal cap, you could go to Lowes/Home Depot and check out their specialty fasteners. These are usually found in those drawers located near nuts & bolts. Look for the plastic plugs often used to plug holes in office desks when there are unused openings for power cords, wires, etc. If you can't find anything there...try to find a tapered cork. Anything to keep out the dirt, until you are able to locate the correct part. There should be plenty of parted out vehicles for you to (sooner or later) get the correct "hole filler."
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Nice looking car and truck.

Comment

That's correct, it is the pry-out lubrication cap for the shifter assembly. The original part number is 197304 and I see that it is available at Studebaker International for $3.50. If you are doing some significant work, you should clean the box thoroughly and refill with the correct grease, also available from SI in Greenfield, IN.

Comment

Welcome-nice vehicles. As you can already see there is a ton of knowledge and willingness to assist right here. You are in good hands.
                  Good luck.
                  Bill

Comment

Thanks to all of you ... for the welcome, the advice, the compliments on my two Studebakers!

To be fair, I can't take much credit for the quality of these two Studebakers. I was very fortunate that I purchased both from two separate owners who were honest as can be and that both had taken such good care of their vehicles. They both taught me a lot about how the classic car business should be and I hope to carry on their example. With their great attitudes, it makes guys like me much more excited to be in the business/hobby and more willing to spend money to make it even better.

Now I feel like I can take care of this lubrication cap situation with the knowledge you all have given me. Thank you again!

Comment

If you order the cap from SI order a service manual and parts book too. The service manual has a full maintenance schedule some of which might surprise you. That shift linkage does not look like it has been lubricated for a while. I would be worried about all the other lube points.

Comment

Welcome to the world of Studebakers! I have a 1947 Champion sedan which I bought 42 years ago. Also owned a 1949 2R5 pickup from 1977 to 1991. If I can be of help, please let me know.
                        Bill Jarvis

Comment

another thing to check is to see if the grease fittings have been installed on the outside of the rear axle at the wheel bearings...

Comment

Working...
                          X