Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the 55 stude president v8 suppose to have a vented gas cap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Is the 55 stude president v8 suppose to have a vented gas cap?

I hardly drive my car ,but I did put thirty miles on it one time , so Cottman transmission who rebuilt some things said he could get the right gas cap ,as the one on there was loose, so is the car suppose to have a vented cap ? It drove fine that time ,driving thirty miles.... Should I be able to see a small hole for venting? Thanks Mike

Yes, it should be vented, no you probably won't see a tiny hole. Without venting, the pump will draw fuel from the tank, creating a vacuum which eventually cannot be overcome, starving the engine.

Comment

Mike, when I had My 55 President "original car" I don't remember the cap being vented - hope this helps.
      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Looks like I was wrong,musta been vented and I drove that car some miles with no fuel problems.
        Originally posted by Tom B View Post
        Yes, it should be vented, no you probably won't see a tiny hole. Without venting, the pump will draw fuel from the tank, creating a vacuum which eventually cannot be overcome, starving the engine.
        Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I'd guess all car caps would be vented until several years into the emissions era, when charcoal filled vapor recovery canisters were added at various locations in the car.

According to wikipedia, until 1970 or so.
          "Since 1971, all U.S. vehicles have had fully sealed fuel systems that do not vent directly to the atmosphere".

Comment

Actually NOT, the '62 to '66 Studebaker Larks and Lark Type Sedans have Sealed Caps due to the Internal Vent System and Low filler prone to dumping when Full if a vented Cap is used, and I am sure they are not alone.

Here is what the current Stant correct replacement Caps should look like, it may not be obvious, but the Stainless Exterior compatible one and the Internal mounted one BOTH are Vented to the atmosphere from the Center to under the Lock Tabs, Spring Washer and Gasket.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4172.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	1699279 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4173.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	1699280
            Last edited by StudeRich; 07-11-2015, 04:08 PM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Add the Avanti, as it has a separate tank vent. That way the fuel won't slosh out the filler and ruin the paint, only happens whenever you put fuel in it!!

Comment

My '55 President does not have a vented cap and I have not had any problems.
                Ed Sallia
                Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

I have a 62 lark that I am parting out and the tank is vented immediately under the filler cap on the filler neck, there is a 1/4" pipe attached to a nipple on the filler neck. The pipe is a bit difficult to see, but you should be able to see it with a flashlight down the neck. Every tank should be vented by one form or another either cap vent or internal. It is conceivable however that over the years a vented cap could have been replaced with a non vented cap and if the fuel sender gasket was leaking or a pin hole in the top of the tank would supplement as a vent system and no problems would ever exist. Vented and non vented systems are most noticeable in a marine system when the vent cap is not opened and the plastic tank will collapse and the engine will die. If you "never had a problem" it is good to know the true reason why, internal vent?, external vent?, vented cap?, leaking cap?, non vented cap?, pin hole in tank?, and /or leaking fuel sender gasket, a vent can be achieved in many ways. I am sure the original specs are available.
                  Last edited by altair; 07-11-2015, 11:27 PM.

Comment

O'Rileys Auto Parts catalog sez my 1953 should have a non-vented cap and THEY ARE WRONG.. they even argued with me, so I went down the street to NAPA and bought the right one.

Comment

Working...
                    X