CA Vehicle Code Section 5004 Vehicles of Historic Value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CA Vehicle Code Section 5004 Vehicles of Historic Value

Has anyone in California tried to register a 1963/64 Avanti as an historic vehicle?

Last I heard, anything over 25 Years old can be either a YOM retro plate OR a Historical Vehicle.

Man I had to Search, and search for ANY info at all on Horseless Carriage or Historical Vehicle Plates on the dmv.cal.gov Website, this says NOTHING about them, only that they are available!

A '63 or '64 Avanti is a '63 or '64 "Studebaker", my '63 is Calif. Titled as a Body Type: "SED64R".

I feel this '64 thing was caused by the confusion that occurred when Studebaker started having Dealers stamp unsold late '63's as an "A" after the Serial # on the frame Serial Number Plate, to sell them as 1964's as mine was.

Quote:

"Are There Any Other Special License Plates Available?

Yes. There are several other types of license plates that require additional documents and cannot be ordered online. They are Amateur Radio, Antique

Motorcycle, Congressional Medal of Honor, Gold Star Family, Historical Vehicle, Honorary Consul,
    Horseless Carriage, Legion of Valor, Pearl Harbor

Survivor, Purple Heart Recipient, and Press Photographer License Plates. These license plates require the Special License Plate Application (REG 17A)

(PDF)
    form. Personalized Livery and American Ex-Prisoner of War License Plates require the Special Interest License Plate Application (REG 17)

(PDF) form and Year of Manufacturer License Plates require the Year of Manufacturer (YOM) License Plate Application (REG 352) (PDF) form and

cannot be ordered online."

Apparently, you just need to fill out Cal. DMV Form: "REG 17 A" and file it in person, and DO NOT let the Dummy at the counter take your Old Original Calif. Title "Pink Slip", they only need that on Commercial vehicles.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 07-10-2015, 02:14 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

A member of our chapter has a '63 Avanti with California "Historical Vehicle" plates on it. I'll see him at a Cruise tonight and ask him if he had to do anything special to get them.
      Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
      '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
      '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
      '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

You might want to check further before you consider historic plates as there are restriction . To quote the DMV regarding historic plates.

Histor Historical Vehicle License Plates

I I certify that I understand these plates may only be placed on a motor vehicle manufactured after 1922, which is at least 25 years old and is of historic interest. I

also certify that I understand that the vehicle for which these plates are issued is primarily driven in historical exhibitions, parades, or historic club activities.

It does limit usage and does not provide any significant advantage to license a vehicle this way unless one owns a museum.
          Bob caser
          mrbobinc

Comment

I think the operative term is "primarily." The last four vehicles I owned were driven "primarily" to club events. I drove them less than 1000 miles a year.

Comment

So what would be the advantage of having them? There are numerous personal plates available without restrictions.
              Pat Dilling
              Olivehurst, CA
              Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
                So what would be the advantage of having them? There are numerous personal plates available without restrictions.
                $25 initial fee and no annual fees.

Comment

Originally posted by GinettaG12P View Post
                  $25 initial fee and no annual fees.
                  That is one place that CA is a lot better than NY. In NY, the first year would cost a fee (I didn't look up the current amount) and an annual fee is collected. The cars on historic plates also have to be state inspected every year, like other cars. And has been said, the historic plates are more restrictive. For these reasons, I have never had them even though I have had many cars that could have had them.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                  X