PDA

View Full Version : Another Speedster

warrlaw1
07-09-2015, 01:48 PM
I gave a free half hour consultation to a man with a brain injury who was having a property dispute. He would be in his 50s and he had his mother with him. I gave him some advice and referred him to a few people who could better help him. He saw a picture of my 55 and said he had two Studebakers, as well. I smiled and thought no more.

Today I was heading for a hamburger and passed a house with a pink and grey Speedster. There he was, polishing his wire wheel caps while his mother did the windows from the back seat of the Speedster. Didn't have a camera, but now that I know where it is, I'm sure I'll see more of it. His other car, he reports, is a 65 Commander. God bless him. He said the power brakes (Hydrovac?) was in the trunk. If he's serious about getting it on the road, a Turner disc brake conversion should do the trick. He agreed.

6hk71400
07-09-2015, 02:32 PM
Mr Richard Quinn kindly provided information on my Speedster and indicated that the serial number right after mine was the identical color combination as my car coraltone and pimlico gray. If you get a chance, get the serial number and let's see the the cars are cousins. My car was made on 4/22/1955 and sent to Danube, Minn.

It sounds like the car has been lovingly taken care over the years. I wish I could say the same for my car, but I can't. When I do get it put back together, I know it that nothing but care will be done to the car, plus driving it to enjoy and let everyone else see what Studebaker made.

Bob Miles
Tucson AZ

warrlaw1
07-09-2015, 02:53 PM
I'll go see him again. He came up to me last night at the Wednesday (local) cruise in and I had no idea he seriously owned these cars. My bad. His house is very near where we have our Saturday cruise in, and I always see him there, too...walking. I don't think he would be allowed to drive with his injury. His mother drives him to appointments. Weird and wonderful things happen in the Studebaker fraternity.

SN-60
07-09-2015, 04:02 PM
I gave a free half hour consultation to a man with a brain injury who was having a property dispute. He would be in his 50s and he had his mother with him. I gave him some advice and referred him to a few people who could better help him. He saw a picture of my 55 and said he had two Studebakers, as well. I smiled and thought no more.

Today I was heading for a hamburger and passed a house with a pink and grey Speedster. There he was, polishing his wire wheel caps while his mother did the windows from the back seat of the Speedster. Didn't have a camera, but now that I know where it is, I'm sure I'll see more of it. His other car, he reports, is a 65 Commander. God bless him. He said the power brakes (Hydrovac?) was in the trunk. If he's serious about getting it on the road, a Turner disc brake conversion should do the trick. He agreed.

A Turner conversion would be a good move, but if the fellow can't afford to do that, a brake pedal from a C/K with manual brakes will fit into that Speedster and improve braking considerably. The manual pedals can be had for around $10.

warrlaw1
07-09-2015, 04:35 PM
I think he has the money, but unfortunately, is unaware of his limitations. I have to tread lightly as he approached me as a client. I'm going to encourage him if I can, but I would have to know a lot more about his physical injuries before I actually would "advise" him. Pictures to come.

Kato
07-09-2015, 09:58 PM
What a great discovery Dave. It sure would be nice to see it out on the road but that sounds unlikely. I wonder how many other unknown Studebakers are lurking in this area?

warrlaw1
07-10-2015, 08:52 AM
Actually it's pretty close to being on the road. It's either an old restoration or a survivor. Everything is stock and looks good. The fellow is pretty sharp but some others have taken advantage of him and I wouldn't blame him if he was suspicious of everybody. Time will tell..

Kato
07-10-2015, 09:28 PM
Actually it's pretty close to being on the road. It's either an old restoration or a survivor. Everything is stock and looks good. The fellow is pretty sharp but some others have taken advantage of him and I wouldn't blame him if he was suspicious of everybody. Time will tell..

Look forward to seeing it!

warrlaw1
07-13-2015, 02:39 PM
OK. The man just walked into my office to return the TW I gave him and has invited me to take some picture tonight. I'll get the body plate and hopefully the serial #. He's also talking about buying a pair (!?) of Packard Executives. Any Packard guys know these cars? One year only 56? Apparently his father was a big SDC player in prairie Canada back in the 70s.

warrlaw1
07-13-2015, 05:24 PM
Serial # 7168799 and it has a body tub number much earlier than my Commander so it may have been one of the original show car Speedsters. Starting a new thread with pics!

6hk71400
07-13-2015, 08:13 PM
The 56 Packard Executive was a 3 month run using a Senior Front clip with the hooded 56 fenders and the Custom Clipper rear body. It used a 352 CID instead of the senior Packard 374.It was a last gasp at trying anything to up Packard production and to fill the gap between the Clipper and Senior Packard.

Some came with the electronic push button shift; they can be fun (!) to work on. No sense comparing values between the Speedster and the Executive, or even two of them. The same problems that some have with the 56 Golden Hawk are the same with the Executive, namely Ultramatic Transmission, Oil Pump failure and lifter problems. In addition add in 60 year old suspension age on the Torsion Bar suspension and the price to repair if you are not handy to do the work yourself.

I used to own a 56 2 door hardtop with manual windows but decided to stay with Studebaker. The power windows are another sore spot as the shaft that powers the window is drilled with a screw and prone to breakage.

Bob Miles
Tucson AZ

studegary
07-14-2015, 01:33 PM
Serial # 7168799 and it has a body tub number much earlier than my Commander so it may have been one of the original show car Speedsters. Starting a new thread with pics!

That S/N is very late (90% through) in South Bend 1955 President production. It probably has a 6H-K7 body style number. If it was one of the early show cars, it would have a 6H-K5 body style number. This doesn't matter since it was built in the last 10% of 1955 President production.

As I have mentioned before, your car's body number has no connection/relationship to a Speedster body number. Each model got its own series of body numbers.

studegary
07-14-2015, 01:36 PM
I had a 1956 Packard Executive sitting outside of my kitchen door for a period of time. It was one of a group of 1955-1956 Packards that I drove to the junkyard (tried to sell them for $100 each).

warrlaw1
07-14-2015, 01:51 PM
Gary check the more recent thread on this car.