'61 Convertible frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: '61 Convertible frame

I looked at a '61 convertible yesterday. Mechanically it's pretty sound, the body needs some work. I have a question about the frame though. Should there be any additional framing underneath the main frame? There is square tubing attached beneath the main frame and I don't know enough about the convertibles to know if it's supposed to be there.
    Chip
    '63 Cruiser
    '57 Packard wagon
    '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
    '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

The frame should have a large "X" member in the middle. Additional support is found by the inner rocker panels boxed in. On my 62 that inner reinforcement also has additional bracing welded to it's bottom. It looks to be original but I'd have to examine others to be sure of that.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

It does have the x frame, but I've never seen the tubing like it is. It's on the bottom of the frame at the outside edge.
      Chip
      '63 Cruiser
      '57 Packard wagon
      '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Is the tubing actually welded to the frame, not the body, along the frame's out edge? If so, it was added by someone at some time.

Examine the car carefully; there should have been no need for that at any time unless the car was compromised by a collision or rust. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I was thinking it was probably a rust issue at some point. I'm going to pass on it.
          Chip
          '63 Cruiser
          '57 Packard wagon
          '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Is the car the white one currently listed on eBay? I'm not interested, just curious, as I see both you and the car ate in Connecticut.
            Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
            \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

Interesting!....Reminds me of the '55 & '56 Packard Caribbean convertible frames. The added metal on those looks kind of like a backyard job.....but the factory actually did the work!

Comment

Originally posted by 2R2 View Post
                Is the car the white one currently listed on eBay? I'm not interested, just curious, as I see both you and the car ate in Connecticut.
                Yes, that's the same one. It's also on Craig's List for $8850.
                Chip
                '63 Cruiser
                '57 Packard wagon
                '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Working...
                X