Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got my first Studebaker/Classic car- 1965 4 door commander

Hello SDC,

I just joined up to start some research and share my journey.

I just recently picked up my first classic car to begin working on with my daughter. It is a 1965 4 door commander. Looked at a lot of different projects, was leaning towards a ford unibody pickup,and i DID NOT want 4 doors, BUT then i saw her and I just fell in love with it and now its mine.

Its mostly there, but does have quite a bit of rust repair needed. I have replacement front 1/4 panels and a nice trunk lid.

It has the stock 194, and one of the PO's put in a 3 speed manual Trans. She starts and runs good, but has some of the stalling and bogging issues when i hit the throttle that seem to be fairly common on these inline six motors. I really have to feather it, so this will be the first project. I have been doing research on where to begin my trouble shooting, and will start the process this weekend- I plan to stick with the stock motor and build it up a bit.

I will share pictures sometime this week. I need to get a new cord to put pictures from my camera onto the PC.

Anyways, i was just excited and wanted to join the forums here.

I don't have a background or a lot of experience working on cars, but me and my oldest daughter (8 y/o) will be learning together.

I know a lot of guys here look down on modified studebakers, BUT, I will be modifying this car, as she is never going to be full restore worthy.

I'm also on the hunt for a 65 wagonaire(i love the 65's) in rough shape that i can save and get back on the road. Long as the body is mostly there and all the glass is fair, im interested, dont care what else is missing.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Welcome to the world of Studebakers. Looking forward to seeing your pictures and hearing your plans to modify. I doubt too many would be be upset about modifying a '65 Chevybaker that is self described as "does have quite a bit of rust repair needed." From my own experience I'll concur with you about the glass needing to be good. My 64 Daytona came with a cracked windshield. I live in proximity to the second largest city in the nation and it still took me nearly two years to find one 400 miles away with scratches and a bulls-eye. I think a new one (hard to find) shipped is about $700-$800, $100+ for the seal and whatever the going rate is for installation. So, be careful with things like that. Keep up the enthusiasm.
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Thanks wittsend!

I lucked out on the glass on this one. Windshield has two small bullseyes that i can probably live with. Other than that the windshield is pretty scratch free. All the other glass is really nice on it.

I did do a bit of research before i pulled the trigger, and it seems good glass is very important on these years.

Most of the chrome is in very good shape as well. Not sure if it was replaced at some point, but the front bumper/grill/headlights(i know headlights are new because PO installed them but he did not install the bumber and grill) looks like new.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeVandal49 View Post
        I know a lot of guys here look down on modified studebakers, BUT, I will be modifying this car, as she is never going to be full restore worthy.
        Hi Joe and welcome to the SDC forum! Good choice - the late ('64 thru '66) Larks are great drivers and are easy to work on, and parts are readily available.

As far as "a lot" of folks here being 'anti-modification', I really don't think that is true. Unfortunately we do have a handful of very vocal folks that are anti-modification, but even they can have good advice if you filter out the rhetoric. So, take what they say with a grain of salt, and remember it is your car to do with what you want to do.

Looking forward to progress updates on your new car.
        Last edited by r1lark; 07-08-2015, 02:19 PM. Reason: added parentheses for clarity
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Yes, welcome aboard.

A 194 six will be easy to work on and parts are as near as your local Auto-Zone.

Call a glass shop and see if they have someone who can come out and repair those bulls-eyes before they grow into cracks. Even with a repair, there will be a little distortion, but nowhere near as much as when you leave them unchecked and they grow into cracks.

Best wishes with the project. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
            Hi Joe and welcome to the SDC forum! Good choice - the late ('64 thru '66) Larks are great drivers and are easy to work on, and parts are readily available.

As far as "a lot" of folks here being 'anti-modification', I really don't think that is true. Unfortunately we do have a handful of very vocal folks that are anti-modification, but even they can have good advice if you filter out the rhetoric. So, take what they say with a grain of salt, and remember it is your car to do with what you want to do.

Looking forward to progress updates on your new car.
            Thanks for the reply r1lark! I didn't mean to really call out the forum, or paint it with a broad brush stroke. That was not my intention, so i hope no one was offended.

Regardless though i have pretty thick skin and a very open mind, so im always open to reading anyones opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
              Yes, welcome aboard.

A 194 six will be easy to work on and parts are as near as your local Auto-Zone.

Call a glass shop and see if they have someone who can come out and repair those bulls-eyes before they grow into cracks. Even with a repair, there will be a little distortion, but nowhere near as much as when you leave them unchecked and they grow into cracks.

Best wishes with the project. BP
              Thanks for taking the time to reply BobPalma.

One of the bullseyes has been repaired. The other i will definitely have repaired before i put it into daily driver status, or before the winter comes whichever comes first...

not sure if i want to tear hard into it right away, or just get the motor running well and drive it for a year before tearing into it. i may just decide to yank the motor and do a rebuild through the fall/winter and take her down to the frame and clean up the rust. I will make the decision after some trouble shooting on the motor to see if the issue is an easy fix this weekend.

This car will eventually be my daily driver.

Comment

Welcome!
                Sounds like a good carburetor overhaul is needed to solve a lot of your driveability issues.
                Definitely needs the accelerator pump replaced.
                I purchased a new tinted windshield for my 1965 Wagonaire from Philips Auto Glass and a new seal from Studebaker International. Was expensive but, makes a huge difference in appearance and driving pleasure.
                Enjoy your "new" Studebaker, their easy to work on and are pleasing to look at!
                sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

I bought my '66 a couple of years ago and it has the 230 I6 - same family as the 194. I had similar carburetor problems and simply ended up replacing it with a rebuilt. Rock Auto had them for about $110 plus a refundable core charge - saved a lot of fooling around on my part and the car (which ran terribly when I first got it, now runs like a top and starts instantly when you turn the key. Just look for the 194/3.2 litre engine under "Chevy II" on their website - they seem to think they don't carry carbs (which are identical) for the Studebaker models!
                  Mark Hayden
                  '66 Commander

Comment

Welcome to the forum from a fellow Vandal! You will find there is a club up your way and quite a bit of excellent knowledge available. My daughter live up your way and is always sending me pictures of Studebakers on the streets.
                    Rob

Comment

You won't regret joining,any ways modify as You see fit and save another one.
                      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by 57pack View Post
                        Welcome!
                        Sounds like a good carburetor overhaul is needed to solve a lot of your driveability issues.
                        Definitely needs the accelerator pump replaced.
                        I purchased a new tinted windshield for my 1965 Wagonaire from Philips Auto Glass and a new seal from Studebaker International. Was expensive but, makes a huge difference in appearance and driving pleasure.
                        Enjoy your "new" Studebaker, their easy to work on and are pleasing to look at!

Sounds about right 57pac. I just need to decide if i want to rebuild the carb, or pull it, as well as the intake/exhaust etc, and just give it an overhaul now. I want to drive it now, but im leaning towards pulling the whole motor for a rebuild.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark57 View Post
                          I bought my '66 a couple of years ago and it has the 230 I6 - same family as the 194. I had similar carburetor problems and simply ended up replacing it with a rebuilt. Rock Auto had them for about $110 plus a refundable core charge - saved a lot of fooling around on my part and the car (which ran terribly when I first got it, now runs like a top and starts instantly when you turn the key. Just look for the 194/3.2 litre engine under "Chevy II" on their website - they seem to think they don't carry carbs (which are identical) for the Studebaker models!

Thanks for the advice Mark57. That sounds like a great way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by mapman View Post
                            Welcome to the forum from a fellow Vandal! You will find there is a club up your way and quite a bit of excellent knowledge available. My daughter live up your way and is always sending me pictures of Studebakers on the streets.
                            Rob
                            Thanks for the response mapman!

It wont be this season, but hopefully by the 2016 season i can cruise down that way in the 65. I take the kids to football games a couple times a year.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
                            You won't regret joining,any ways modify as You see fit and save another one.
                            Thanks 63t-cab. Sounds like a good plan.

Comment

Hey guys,

Im on the hunt for rear passenger door vent windows.

Im also looking for a front driver side 1/4 panel. Mine came with two extras when i bought it, but the PO cut a chunk out of the extra drivers side panel and was going to patch the rust on the currently mounted QP. Cant figure out why he would cut it instead of just swapping the two. Dont know if he realized they just bolted up.

If anyone has some leads please let me know.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X