PDA

View Full Version : Daddy was a Studebaker Man...

64V-K7
07-08-2015, 10:18 AM
http://www.meridianstar.com/opinion/daddy-was-a-studebaker-man/article_ac5e5f6e-1625-11e5-8731-eb3d15b4d563.html

Meridian, Mississipi....

Commander Eddie
07-08-2015, 10:53 AM
Very nice story. Not sure about the anteater description though. Kids often see things in very different ways then adults.
My dad was a Studebaker man too. We loved them. Still do.

57pack
07-08-2015, 11:02 AM
Nice little story. I don't agree with her calling Studebaker's "ugly" or looking like a "anteater".
I suppose she never saw a Nash Aeroflyte or Lincoln Cosmopolitan of the same era.
But, that being said, my Dad was very similar to Howard. My Dad would purchase a new Studebaker every two years. Starting in 1946 and ending with a 1964 Commander.
And a proud WW2 8th Army Air Corps veteran.

jclary
07-08-2015, 12:04 PM
I agree, it is a nice story. It also gives a bit of perspective on how our memories are shaped by our experience in our formative years. Obviously, this little girl lived a pretty secure suburban childhood. Never experienced benefiting from a church charity moment, as friends delivered groceries. Probably never had to enjoy a meal of "molly" the rabbit, cause meat was too expensive at the grocery store. In our large family, I was nine years old before we owned our first "used" car, or television. We enjoyed seeing new cars, but getting one ourselves was so out of the question, that we never discussed it.

My daddy was a father, survivor, truck driver, who had dropped out of school in the seventh grade, got a job, and moved out on his own at age 14. Even then, he assisted his younger siblings. If you give much thought to the period, especially the rural south, not only did it take nearly a century for civil war reconstruction/recovery, but the ramifications of two world wars, with the great depression between, compounded the complexities of "hard scrabble" existence for the unskilled and uneducated.

While my dad did not have much in the way of possessions, he found a great peace in family, friends and, church. I hadn't given it much thought until one day, my Uncle, (one of his brothers) and his wife were visiting. Our back yard was full of noisy kids making the usual kid racket, playing some "made-up" game, as we often did. That uncle was childless. He lived in town, on a nice corner lot, in one of the better neighborhoods. He always traded for a "New" Chrysler every year or so. I overheard him tell my father..."You know Albert, I used to feel a bit sorry for you. Having all these kids, living in rented houses, and always having to buy used cars...but seeing these kids, how happy everyone is....you're the richest of us all."

At the time, my teenage mind didn't comprehend the importance of that moment. Through the years, it has become an enormous treasure.:)

StudeRich
07-08-2015, 02:29 PM
Hmm, I have to wonder what year She was thinking of, maybe you have to be 5 Years old to get it!

t walgamuth
07-08-2015, 03:36 PM
Hmm, I have to wonder what year She was thinking of, maybe you have to be 5 Years old to get it!

What an elegant shape! If most animals looked like the anteater we'd think they were pretty.

So maybe the same can be said for the bulletnose stude.

jclary
07-08-2015, 03:52 PM
Well...a new two door sedan in the "MID-1950's" (as she stated in the article), suggest to me, that it was at least one of the sleek turned down nose from the Bourke created/Lowey credited models. When just about everything else looked like a shoe-box...I could see how a little girl lacking an "artist's eye," could make such an in-artful association.

j.byrd
07-08-2015, 04:06 PM
jclary, your story about growing up has an extremely close parallel to mine growing up in East Tennessee. Strange how some of us have such similar backgrounds and memories. And to the point of the ant-eater looking Studebaker, I heard more than one person say that about the 55's at the dealership my dad worked at ! Weird, huh ?