PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Wanna' Weasel?

BobPalma
07-07-2015, 07:08 PM
:) 'Here ya' go:

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=9831980

:cool: BP

Gunslinger
07-07-2015, 07:49 PM
Just the thing to swim through what little water California has left.

Still...if it wasn't across the country it would be great for when it snows around here.

DEEPNHOCK
07-07-2015, 08:28 PM
Looks like one of the two posted last April.... Same place anyways...

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?88097-(For-Sale)-TWO-California-Weasels&highlight=weasel+auction

Corvanti
07-07-2015, 09:45 PM
that would be fun to play with, and scare the 4X4's on the 2 beaches here nearby in S.E. NC that allow vehicles!:!:

Mrs K Corbin
07-08-2015, 08:06 AM
Same bunch selling it, might not be the same Weasel.

jclary
07-08-2015, 09:21 AM
It's appropriate that this thread asked "Who WANTS a Weasel?"...instead of who NEEDS one. Except for us Studebaker nuts, and some very dedicated students of military vehicles, the Weasel is probably one of the most obscure contraptions ever built. Also, except for the most dedicated "Tinkerer"...not a very practical vehicle. When you think about the ones you have seen at events, you'll understand that you can't look at the cost of the Weasel alone. Unless you keep it locked away, a Weasel requires a transport trailer, and a truck with enough towing capacity to haul it. Then, there is the maintenance, like tracks, track tread, etc. I've not studied the drive train and associated parts, but, I suspect there are lots of bearings that require lubricating.

While fantasizing how much fun one of these could be... unless you have a government motor pool budget, and enough private property to host a battle field, enjoying operating/maintaining one of these is better in the imagination than reality. In my early and youthful years as a Studebaker fan, I confess, that I sometimes envied those who came to events hauling such not so "user friendly" vehicles. Not just a Weasel, but large dump trucks, school-bus, Horse Drawn Studebaker, and other somewhat "out of the norm" Studebaker products. As I have grown older, I have learned to appreciate how much dedication and hard work (and money) is required to preserve and display these artifacts. No longer any tinge of envy. Instead...a hearty THANKS!:cheers:

hausdok
07-08-2015, 11:26 AM
There are a whole series of antique items there. That's not normally the fare sold at those auctions. My guess is that there is a military base closing somewhere that had a military museum and these old vehicles are from that museum.

Buzzard
07-08-2015, 11:41 AM
Hey John,
All points are well taken. But when we have 5 feet of snow on the ground (mountains of British Columbia), and I point my Weasel straight up the mountain, you can't wipe the grin off my face as we simply do what it does the best with great ease. Even the operations manual states: "if the vehicle stalls trying to climb over a ridge and restart is a problem, simply gear down and crest the hill on the starter motor". I doubt there are many vehicles with that capability around today. And yes it is a Studebaker so of course there are a ton of grease fittings to deal with. Try a Weasel some time and you'll be converted.
Cheers,
Bill

jclary
07-08-2015, 12:26 PM
Hey John,
All points are well taken. But when we have 5 feet of snow on the ground (mountains of British Columbia), and I point my Weasel straight up the mountain, you can't wipe the grin off my face as we simply do what it does the best with great ease. Even the operations manual states: "if the vehicle stalls trying to climb over a ridge and restart is a problem, simply gear down and crest the hill on the starter motor". I doubt there are many vehicles with that capability around today. And yes it is a Studebaker so of course there are a ton of grease fittings to deal with. Try a Weasel some time and you'll be converted.
Cheers,
Bill

Good Grief Bill! I wasn't disparaging the craft.;) You're one of the folks I was trying to convey my admiration.:) Speaking of "envy"...you are about to expose my hippocracy.:o All I need now is an invitation to go blasting through the snow with you.:rolleyes: Around here, those guide wheels, tracks, etc., would probably not be so neat in our red dirt and abrasive rocks. I remember a neighbor who bought his son a go-cart. After a few days, the go-cart tracks had killed his pasture grass. He was so upset, that he sold it. Imagine how upset he would be over some nut (like me) grinding a Weasel through his field.:oops:

Anyway, if you have one, and enjoy having an appropriate place to run it...post some pictures. Even better...a video. I'll grin with you.:!:

Bamajak
07-08-2015, 12:30 PM
I asked my wife............She said she already have one?

r1lark
07-08-2015, 02:29 PM
I asked my wife............She said she already have one?

Owww, low blow Linda! :eek:

studegary
07-08-2015, 02:40 PM
This no "ordinary" M29 Weasel. It is an M29C, an amphibian for use in water as well as on land. The M29C did not come out until 1943. There were 15,124 Weasels built. I doubt that there are 1% left.

Deaf Mute
07-08-2015, 04:28 PM
I still have not completely wiped the smile off my face from the Weasel ride I had in Dover! :D If I had one I could drive it in the local parade this weekend hauling my fellow VFW members... instead of that I will have to walk carrying either a flag or a rifle. At 72, I'm one of the "young guys" in our Post.. We can't get younger vets to join. Next year we may have to lead the parade with walkers.

sals54
07-08-2015, 11:41 PM
I'm gonna try to see it this week. I'm waiting for a return call from the Auction Co. We shall see. I'd like to see the rust issues, if any.... Ha Ha Ha.... If any ?

Photoguy
07-09-2015, 05:22 AM
Here's another one to enjoy in the snow..

http://www.cars-on-line.com/70371.html

Mrs K Corbin
07-09-2015, 01:15 PM
I missed one for $2500 in north Florida a while back. Wish I hadn't. I'd love to put a "gun" on it and park it in my driveway!

studegary
07-09-2015, 02:51 PM
I missed one for $2500 in north Florida a while back. Wish I hadn't. I'd love to put a "gun" on it and park it in my driveway!

The last one that I saw, that was not at a meet, was parked along Route 44 between Inverness and Crystal River, Florida.