No announcement yet.

Air coming in through firewall.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: Air coming in through firewall.

Hi all. It's been awhile since I posted on here. I've been driving my 56 Power Hawk a bit lately and I'm starting to address some of the "smaller" things now that I've checked off some of the "bigger" things. Since I have owned the car I have had a situation where a lot of not so fresh air comes into the passenger compartment through the area where the steering and pedals go through the firewall. I can actually see the ground underneath. Are there supposed to be some rubber gaskets or something along those lines that I am missing? Getting tired of the air that smells like burning oil etc. getting in so easy.

the "grommets" for the firewall are available at Studebaker International - on page 124 in the new catalog, or search their website. I'm sure other Studebaker vendors have what you need.

i've also used "3M Strip-Calk" - aka: "monkey crap" to make a nice barrier on small holes and to help seal the grommets. i bought mine on ebay, but i think some FLAPS may have it.

hope this helps.
    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Duct Tape fix anything!

Comment

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
        the "grommets" for the firewall are available at Studebaker International - on page 124 in the new catalog, or search their website. I'm sure other Studebaker vendors have what you need.

hope this helps.
        I think that he probably needs the larger items. The most common to go bad is around the throttle (page 190 in SI Catalog), next is around the steering column (SI page 268)
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I cannot tell from here if you may have misdiagnosed the area of ALL of the Air Leak or not.

But just letting you know, that the Engine fan blows any Oil mist, exhaust, smoke to the RIGHT, and that is where the Underseat Heater Duct is, so any breaks in that Hose and the Climatizer System will suck it right into the Cabin.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            I cannot tell from here if you may have misdiagnosed the area of ALL of the Air Leak or not.

But just letting you know, that the Engine fan blows any Oil mist, exhaust, smoke to the RIGHT, and that is where the Underseat Heater Duct is, so any breaks in that Hose and the Climatizer System will suck it right into the Cabin.
            Yep, and if you have a failed leaky felt seal at the timing cover, along with a cheap rebuilt aftermarket fuel pump with the leaking pivot pin...that oil oozes down the oil pan, droplets get blown onto the hot exhaust, so that you get burned oily gasses to invade your cockpit and all the aroma that comes with it.

Another thing to keep in mind...these cars were built to be used. They were built with a purpose to make a profit, and durability to get them past the guarantee. Having them around decades later, as "collector" cars was probably not a thought. Therefore, I think you should be free to upgrade any aspect in materials that would improve the cabin air flow and quality. Also, keep in mind that all the original components were "engineered" for their purpose. That engineering required that they be constructed to not only perform their job, but do it safely. I have fabricated grommets for pedals. In doing so, I have had to make sure that they didn't interfere with safe operation. Sometimes, the idea is easy, implementing is the hard part.

As our cars age, they get passed from owner to owner. It is not unusual to find holes punched in firewalls for who knows what. Even a cracked, deteriorating wiring grommet, can pass a good bit of air when a car is underway. Once you plug the big obvious holes, look at all areas where components pass through. Replace any missing grommets and plug any hole that is not being used.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Yes, John is right about the oil leaking from rebuilt fuel pumps.
              I tried 3 pumps last summer before I installed an electric pump as a temporary fix until I can find a good pump that stands up to crap gas and doesn't leak oil.

Comment

"Air" coming through holes in the firewall is one thing, but fumes are another. Air leaks are easy enough to plug. Fumes need to be dealt with by finding the source(s) and fixing it. Exhaust fumes, oil fumes from leaking valve covers, excess blow-by out the road draft tube and/or valve cover caps, etc., need to be addressed before you can safely drive the car.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips. The engine has 45,000 miles on it and to the best of my knowledge has never been rebuilt. Therefore, there are a lot of small oil leaks here and there, but nothing major. I live near South Bend so this car is only driven late spring thru early fall and usually only on nice days when I can cruise with the windows down. Just would like to get a higher % of fresh air vs bad stuff. I will check out those parts and try to run over to SI and pick them up.

Comment

Working...
                  X