PDA

View Full Version : For the not so "faint of heart" Golden Hawk fans

Buzzard
07-06-2015, 10:11 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Studebaker-GOLDEN-HAWK-GOLDEN-HAWK-/231614028419?forcerrptr=true&hash=item35ed459a83&item=231614028419

Perhaps a little clean up is in order.

BobPalma
07-06-2015, 10:26 AM
;) Boy, I wish someone would buy that car. I saw it for sale at the Evansville IN Frog Follies street rod show at least four years ago in exactly this condition and it is still bouncing around trying to get sold. Everything will sell if it is priced right, so we may assume that is yet to happen in this case.

At least it looks like it has been inventoried and is indoors, so that's a plus. :!: BP

SN-60
07-06-2015, 11:06 AM
It's a stickshift model....... which is a big plus on a '56 Golden Hawk.....but it looks like the standard shift parts have been 'liberated' from this car. (except perhaps some of the clutch linkage)

Engine definitely not original '56 Golden....Looks to be from a '55 or '56 senior Packard.

Body looks to be quite sound which is a big plus.

This Hawk is worth about $2500.00. :)

skyway
07-06-2015, 01:16 PM
Interesting; wonder what got the middle of the trunk Floor?

PackardV8
07-06-2015, 01:39 PM
The stick shift with power steering and power brakes is one of the rarest of the '56J combinations.

Sad, because one can buy any of several nice drivers for less than the cost of bringing that example back.

jack vines

SN-60
07-18-2015, 12:00 PM
'Buy it now' price reduced on this baby!

Hawklover
07-18-2015, 04:44 PM
My father had that specific optioned car!
The stick shift with power steering and power brakes is one of the rarest of the '56J combinations.

Sad, because one can buy any of several nice drivers for less than the cost of bringing that example back.

jack vines

SN-60
07-18-2015, 05:15 PM
My father had that specific optioned car!

I used a '56 Golden Hawk with 3 spd o/d & power steering as an everyday driver for six years. (Cambridge Grey/Snowcap White) Definitely an interesting ride on snow covered roads! :eek:

JoeHall
07-18-2015, 09:54 PM
Per the VIN, that car was originally equipped with UltraMatic, PS and PB. Hard to say what has happened since 1956, but I agree it is probably not the original motor, based on the thermostat housing. The valve covers are top line Packard, but it was popular to install those, back in the day, on 56Js, so who knows.

For tranny, it is listed as a stick, and there is a clutch in the floor. But the OD cable handle is missing under the dash, the OD relay is missing on the firewall, and UltraMatic kick down linkage is present on the rear of the motor.

It would take a person with lots of time and money to bring this one back, but worse examples have been restored.

SN-60
07-19-2015, 09:16 AM
In the sixties and seventies, many 1956 Golden Hawk owners sought a replacement for their car's extremely tempermental Packard Twin-Ultramatic transmission. Many otherwise nice '56J's were scrapped because of what some owners of these cars considered a rather hopeless automatic transmission situation.

Some were lucky and found a factory standard shift conversion from a donor car,...but these factory setups were, and still are, quite rare.

Other 'desperate but crafty' '56J owners devised a way of converting the Twin-Ultramatic converter housing into a clutch housing, and then adapting Ford, Cadillac, etc. standard transmissions.

Later on, conversion kits became available that adapted the excellent Chrysler torque flite (727) automatic transmission, or GM TH 400 hydramatic transmission to the Packard V8. :)

bezhawk
07-19-2015, 10:11 AM
http://transmissionadaptor.com/index.php/transmission-adapter-kits/packard/v8/packard-v8-chev-700r-auto-transmission.html

SN-60
07-19-2015, 11:28 AM
http://transmissionadaptor.com/index.php/transmission-adapter-kits/packard/v8/packard-v8-chev-700r-auto-transmission.html

YES!!,...This adapter for the GM 700R4 auto trans-to-Packard V8 could really turn a 'fussy' 56J around!.....Four forward speeds plus a lockup converter in a super-dependable transmission! :!:

JoeHall
07-19-2015, 12:39 PM
The above Bendtsen adapter, to put GM trannys behind Packard V8s, has been around a few years now. A few of the Packard V8 kids have installed them, and seem to love them.

About 15-20 years ago, I test drove a 56J with the Torque-Flite tranny installed. It worked well, but had a pretty severe vibration coming off idle. Those kits were supposedly created a Packard guru named Harold Gibson, as one of the first alternatives to getting rid of the Ultra, but staying automatic. Supposedly, back then, there were problems with proper machining of a, "spool" adapter. I bet it would probably be easy to address with modern machining equipment.

The 56J I owned in the late 1960s had been swapped over to a T85, with a floor shift. In the conversion, someone had simply sawed off the column shift lever for the Ultra, to about 2" long, then stuck the knob back on it. Looked kinda goofy, even back then.