PDA

View Full Version : Engine: 283 Dip Stick Tube

dangrdan
07-04-2015, 07:04 PM
When reassembling my 66 Daytona after the engine had been overhauled, I realized that I did not have a dip stick tube. I have the dip stick but could not find the tube, which I suspect got lost when I had the block at the machine shop about 2 yrs ago (I'm pretty sure I did not remove it). Anyway, could not find a dip stick tube at any of the Studebaker parts houses so I bought a new tube/dip stick from NAPA for a 283 engine. The tube does not fit into the hole in the block (circumference is larger than the hole in the block), even after grinding it down as much as I could). Examining the hole in the block, it looks like there is a steel sleeve in the hole that obviously makes the hole smaller. Question, is there supposed to be a sleeve there or should I just be seeing a hole drilled into the cast iron block? The edge of the sleeve is smooth and clean so it does not look like the tube got broken off. It sure looks like the sleeve is supposed to be there. I did find a tube at Autozone that has a small enough diameter that with some grinding down I could probably force fit into the hole but I hate to Micky Mouse it if I don't have to i.e., if the sleeve is stock, then I'll just have to keep looking for a tube that fits.

If there is not supposed to be a SS sleeve then it must be a section of the old tube that somehow broke of amazingly clean and I will need to remove it. Since it was force-fit into the block, how would I get it out? I have bolt extractors but not sure that is the best way to go since this is not a threaded part. I am afraid a bolt extractor might just turn inside the sleeve and I'd end up with metal shavings inside my rebuilt engine.

I kick myself for not noticing this while the block was on the test stand but that is water under the bridge. If any of you have ever replaced one of these tubes in an installed engine, I'd sure like to hear any advice you can give. Thanks,
Dangerous

Bordeaux Daytona
07-04-2015, 08:26 PM
My dad's 65 is broken off too, someday I'll have to do the same thing too. I might try a slide hammer with a screw threaded into the tube.

Jerry Forrester
07-04-2015, 10:02 PM
When reassembling my 66 Daytona after the engine had been overhauled, I realized that I did not have a dip stick tube. I have the dip stick but could not find the tube, which I suspect got lost when I had the block at the machine shop about 2 yrs ago (I'm pretty sure I did not remove it). Anyway, could not find a dip stick tube at any of the Studebaker parts houses so I bought a new tube/dip stick from NAPA for a 283 engine. The tube does not fit into the hole in the block (circumference is larger than the hole in the block), even after grinding it down as much as I could). Examining the hole in the block, it looks like there is a steel sleeve in the hole that obviously makes the hole smaller. Question, is there supposed to be a sleeve there or should I just be seeing a hole drilled into the cast iron block? The edge of the sleeve is smooth and clean so it does not look like the tube got broken off. It sure looks like the sleeve is supposed to be there. I did find a tube at Autozone that has a small enough diameter that with some grinding down I could probably force fit into the hole but I hate to Micky Mouse it if I don't have to i.e., if the sleeve is stock, then I'll just have to keep looking for a tube that fits.

If there is not supposed to be a SS sleeve then it must be a section of the old tube that somehow broke of amazingly clean and I will need to remove it. Since it was force-fit into the block, how would I get it out? I have bolt extractors but not sure that is the best way to go since this is not a threaded part. I am afraid a bolt extractor might just turn inside the sleeve and I'd end up with metal shavings inside my rebuilt engine.

I kick myself for not noticing this while the block was on the test stand but that is water under the bridge. If any of you have ever replaced one of these tubes in an installed engine, I'd sure like to hear any advice you can give. Thanks,
Dangerous
That's common problem. Yes it's part of the old dipstick tube. There's a lower tube that goes into the hole before the upper tube. I wonder what that looks like.
I think a 3/8" bolt will screw into the tube. Use a hack saw or zis wheel to cut three slots into the bolt to make sort of a tap. Then use vise grips to work the broken tube out.

swvalcon
07-05-2015, 04:52 AM
It's just like any other small block chev dipstick set up. There is a small lower tube that goes in and you tap that down thigh then the upper tube fits in on top of it. This keeps the dip stick from being splashed with oil and getting wrapped up in the lower end.

lark55
07-05-2015, 09:53 AM
Hi Dan - I posed this question of removing a broken dipstick tube over on the Racing Studebaker forum in the non-stude powered section under the heading "Need Ideas". Jeff Rice gave me some ideas. Hope this helps.

TWChamp
07-05-2015, 11:29 AM
I welded a nut to an old pair of Vice-Grips. Now I can attach my slide hammer to the vice grips. I would put grease on a tap and thread it into the broken tube, then clamp onto the tap with the vice grips and use the slide hammer to pop it out. The grease is to hold the metal chips. Also a wad of paper or even pushing grease into the broken tube should trap the metal chips from the tap.

gordr
07-05-2015, 12:24 PM
Use a tap, with grease on it to catch the chips, but thread it through a nut of the right size first. When you get the tap well engaged in the broken tube, just wrench the nut down against the block, and it should pull the tube out. You will need a short sleeve or washer with a hole large enough to clear the O.D. of the broken piece. This should work unless the face of the block where the hole is located lies at an extreme angle to the axis of the tube.

dangrdan
07-08-2015, 06:43 PM
Thanks, everyone, success at last! With the PB booster in place I could not get a slide hammer to work. As for the tap/grease/nut/washer method, after grinding down the radius of several washers so that they would fit into the cast arch in the block, I finally got the broken part out. The new tube, which is supposed to be for a SB chevy, was loose in the bored hole such that it came out with the dip stick. I squeezed it in a vice a little to make it oblong so that I could force fit the tube and now it works fine. The new dip stick is longer than the old one so the markings are wrong but I should be able to re-mark it once the engine is running and the oil has completely filled the filter and galleys.

BTW, I went to the Racing Studebaker forum but a quick look did not bring me to the section that lark55 mentioned. When I came back later, the page had me permanently blocked because, it said, my IP address is a known spammer. News to me! I sent the webmaster an email - should be interesting.:)

GTCruiser
07-08-2015, 09:22 PM
Around 2002?, after the Madison Wisconsin International, was on the way home and early in the am in a motel parking lot in Illinois the dipstick tube came out as I checked the oil in a '65 Cruiser V-8. Dipstick tubes must have been a week-point back then. Jammed it back as best I could and proceeded home.