Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: 1948 Land Cruiser - Gaining space between dash and firewall

Ladies and Gentlemen:
    My 1948 Land Cruiser originally came without a radio. Since I'm a broadcast engineer by trade a radio isn't an option for me. I found the proper radio that would have come from the factory and in about 3 hours had it totally rebuilt, aligned and working very well. The problem is, this car has very little space between the dash and the firewall, this had frustrated my efforts to do everything I've had to do, replacing the wiring harness, etc., but it is impossible to get the radio mounted without the dash moving forward at least an inch. There is insufficient clearance to get the radio in there as far as I can tell anyway you turn it. Does anyone know how this is done? Between the brakes and the dash this car is really starting to try my patience. Thanks for any suggestions.

The correct radio is Studebaker AC-1387 (Philco S-4627) The installation instructions don't mention anything special about the installation.
    However, the instructions for a Motorola unit do say "Due to variations in cars, you may experience difficulty in getting the tuning shafts to clear the lower edge of the instrument panel when lifting set into position. You will find that by pushing "in" the volume and tuning shafts, sufficient clearance can be obtained so set will clear instrument panel".
    Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

The Motorola radio is aftermarket. Do not follow those directions unless your radio is a Motorola. The two designs are completely/totally different. The "official" Studebaker radio is made by Philco.

There should be sufficient room to install the radio. You may have to push in the center tuning knob. You cannot push in the volume or tone knobs without damaging the controls. While installing, you can remove the volume and tone knobs and gain some space that way, in fact you have to remove them to put the shafts through the dash, but the exposed shafts for these knobs are very delicate and replacements can only come from cannibalizing another radio, so be delicate, careful and do not get frustrated.

When rewiring that car, did the wire bundle get misplaced/mis-located to the space the radio needs?
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
      X