Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebakers shine in a small town 4th of July parade

Attached Files
    Last edited by 53k; 07-05-2015, 08:53 AM.
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Great going, Paul! That was a fine showing for the marque with a nice variety of Studes.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

'Lookin' good, Paul; congratulations. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Reminds me of the parades down Freeman Street when I lived on Ridgedale Avenue in Woodbridge. How the town came together & cheered all the participants. You have one beautiful town there Paul that was accented by some magnificent cars.
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Beautiful town, beautiful cars. Thanks for showing pictures.

Comment

Nice showing! Be sure to tell the Tesla owner that he does not have to own a Studebaker to belong to the SDC!
            Pat Dilling
            Olivehurst, CA
            Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Thanks for the nice comments. Yes, Shepherdstown is a beautiful little town. It is the oldest town in West Virginia having been chartered in 1762 when West Virginia was still part of Virginia. The entire downtown is a National Historic District. In the early days it was considered as a site for the national capital (glad it didn't happen). It is bordered on the north by the Potomac River where the first steam boat was demonstrated 20 years before Robert Fulton ran his which gets credit for being first. The 2010 census reported a population of 1,734. The land area of the town is stated as .37 square miles, but both numbers are misleading as there are sizable residential areas all around the town and the town is home to Shepherd University with something over 4,000 students (not counted in the census). The white building with the clock tower is the administration building for the university. The buildings in the business district are mostly nice restaurants and "artsy" businesses. The McDonalds/Dairy Queen/Subway/Food Lion/Rite Aid/etc are in a modern shopping area 1/2 mile west of town.
              Jefferson County is the easternmost county in West Virginia 70 or so miles from either Washington, DC or Baltimore. It's a popular area for commuters and a popular retirement area for senior government and military members due to modest taxes and cost of living.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Thanks for the pictures and the overview of the town. Your Avanti looks really nice. Did you add new tires and wheel covers lately? They look great on there.

Comment

Nice representation of Studebakers, and a good diversity of cars in your show & parade. It appears everyone had a good time despite the early morning rain.

Craig

Comment

great pictures sir ! The license plate on the little Tesla sporty car is cute too !

Comment

I always drive my Sky Hawk in the Southampton, Long Island July 4th parade. I love to see people cheer and applaud.
                      peter lee

Comment

Looks like a nice event.

Comment

Originally posted by studefan View Post
                          Thanks for the pictures and the overview of the town. Your Avanti looks really nice. Did you add new tires and wheel covers lately? They look great on there.
                          Thanks, but the Avanti is a 20-footer- chipped paint, poor chrome, poorly repaired front end damage and paint. I put on the wheels, tires and covers in 2011 after I ditched the 225x60x16s on Torque Thrusts that were one the car when I got it (too small, too wide and I don't like Torque Thrusts). The tires are Hankook 215x75x15s on MoPar 15x6 rims and I got nice used wheel covers, undamaged needing only some flat black touch up. I was planning to use my NOS AC 3521 wire covers, but decided I liked the originals better.

Comment

Working...
                          X