Bat Wing on a 1953 Commander HT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: Bat Wing on a 1953 Commander HT

I have a bat wing off of a later Hawk that I want to mount on a 1953 Commander HT. I have a SS dual Exhaust from Don Simmons, and I do not see any reason why it will not fit. In mention that because earlier discussions have raised that question. But I do not think anyone has addressed the question of precisely where it goes forward or backward. Obviously the straight part of the bat wing should go under the hump in the exhaust pipe on the driver's side, but is there a reference point on the side rails that it should be aligned with? I note from later Hawk Parts Catalogs that it is fastened on each side with 4 ea. 3/8" x 3/4" bolts with nuts. But since the '53 did not originally have a bat wing, there are not any pre-driled holes for those bolts. Another way to ask this question is,"Where does it attach to the frame in relation to pad riveted to the bottom of the side rail on each side, just behind the wheel well?
    Stan Gundry
    www.AvantiPublishing.com

'54--'64 Studebaker C/K frame dimension charts will tell you precisely what you want to know....with several reference points. Or, you could take measurements from any '54-'64 C/K.

But basically you want that crossmember's outer holes directly under your car's 'A' pillars, which ultimately it will provide needed support to.

Installing the '54-'64 'batwing' crossmember on a '53 C/K is a good idea.

A '54-'64 brake update on a '53 isn't a bad idea either!

Comment

There are holes drilled for it already, at least there were on my 53. You just have to remove a couple of small brackets on the frame rails.Here's a few pics:http://adirondack-pete.blogspot.com/...er-batman.html
      Dave Nevin
      Corvallis, OR
      1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
      Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Stan; It is the bracket in the middle of the pic. You have to drill out the 4 rivets that hold each bracket to the frame.

[/URL]

Comment

Thanks everyone. Now it is clear what I need to do, though I am not looking forward to drilling out 8 rivets lying flat on my back. It is tempting to consider grinding off the head of the rivet and then driving it out the rest of the way with punch.
          Stan Gundry
          www.AvantiPublishing.com

Comment

Working...
          X