X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champion Flatheads in Final AARA Racing Event

Report here:

BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 07-04-2015, 03:59 AM. Reason: corrected title abbreviation
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Cool story, Bob; I'm sure a non-muffled Champion 6 is quite a unique sound!

Comment

Bob, even with Dad's old cars and the two or three I owned, I've never heard a Champion 6 with a muffler leak, much less headers ! Must have been a hoot ! Thanks for the pics and cool story.

Comment

Thanks for the report Bob. As you noted, I was stuck here in Virginia. The club is the Antique Auto Racing Association (AARA) so your title should read AARA. Glad you had a good time at the event. Jeff

Comment

Makes me want to uncork the 170 in my M5 and rattle it at the next car show...................

Comment

Thanks for posting Bob. Great story and very enjoyable pics. The picture of #27's engine (on the distributor side) looks very neat and uncluttered. Two crankcase stand pipes, no timing advance mechanism, no generator, etc.

Instead of a generator pulley, some kind of idler/tensioner pulley? Since I've never been anything more than a "beat you to the next stop light" racer, I'm not very knowledgeable as to what you can get away with in a car truly built for flat-out racing. With no generator, do these cars race with a well charged battery alone?
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by studefan View Post
              Thanks for the report Bob. As you noted, I was stuck here in Virginia. The club is the Antique Auto Racing Association (AARA) so your title should read AARA. Glad you had a good time at the event. Jeff
              Thanks, Jeff; of course you're right; something looked a little funny about that; 'had to be thinking of The Antique Automobile Club of America; duh! I'll make the change presently. (The hazards of wanting to get something up ASAP before bed, having just returned from the fun. It was so nice to see the whole gang...well, except you!) BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                Thanks for posting Bob. Great story and very enjoyable pics. The picture of #27's engine (on the distributor side) looks very neat and uncluttered. Two crankcase stand pipes, no timing advance mechanism, no generator, etc.

Instead of a generator pulley, some kind of idler/tensioner pulley? Since I've never been anything more than a "beat you to the next stop light" racer, I'm not very knowledgeable as to what you can get away with in a car truly built for flat-out racing. With no generator, do these cars race with a well charged battery alone?
                John, I don't know. Perhaps Jeff Bradel will chime in to answer your question. Jeff? BP

Comment

Jeff: How do you guys keep all the "Jays" straight? Your Dad was known as Jay, right? And we have your brother Jay and his son Jay, also known as "Sparky," right?

Within the family, how do you know who you are talking to, or about?

(BTW; the announcer yesterday referenced the loss of your Dad during the past year, and spoke reverently of him as to his contribution to this event and this organization.) BP

Comment

Fun post-thanks. I think maybe I'll fire up my Weasel to hear that straight through exhaust sound.
                    Bill

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post

Since the coil uses just over an amp while the engine is running, a good battery should easily last for at least 8 hours.

Comment

Bob, for some strange reason, my family likes names that start with "J". Dad was John Jr, brother is John III, his son is John IV. I'm Jeff and my sister is Jody. Way too confusing growing up.

Regarding the midgets, they have magnetos. Thanks for posting the story about the last AARA gathering. Jeff
                        Last edited by studefan; 07-05-2015, 06:13 AM.

Comment

Thanks for explaining the electrical source Jeff. Now...that answer elicits other questions. Where's the magneto? How's it set up mechanically?
                          John Clary
                          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I got clarification from my brother and he said the red car has a magneto and the black car has a standard distributor.

Comment

Hey Bob, it was great to see you in Van Wert. The club started in 1972 and is considered the only club of it's kind where we actually push the cars close to the limits. My Dad and I joined the AARA in 1981 and my two sons, Young Jay (Sparky) and Drew, began racing with my father John and I in their late teens. We have history the #7 (previously #55) back to 1959 when it was raced in Indiana and Illinois with the Champ engine. I have attached some photos of the #7 in action. Here is the website of the AARA for more info about the club and its cars. http://antiqueautoracing.com/
                              The #7 is a 185 running methanol, 12:1 compression Edmond Aluminum Head, Morgan Intake with (2) Stromberg 48's and a Vertex Magneto. We completely ported and polished the engine. Lots of power!
                              There is mention of Landy Scott's Studebaker Midget in the blog. Interesting note: A member of the AARA owned the Landy midget but had a Ford V8 in it. He bought a Kurtis Kraft Midget my father owned that had a Fuel Injected Champ engine and put that engine in the Landy Midget.
                              Jay BradelClick image for larger version

Name:	jay 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	1699186Click image for larger version

Name:	jay 2.jpg
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	1699187Click image for larger version

Name:	jay 3.jpg
Size:	73.2 KB