Lark Rear Seat Removal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: Lark Rear Seat Removal?

I feel like an idiot asking, but how the Devil do you remove the rear seat back on a 1960 Lark convertible?

The bottom lifts up and out, but what's holding the seat back? I've looked everywhere and I don't see what's holding it in. The manual explains how to lift the bottom out, but then it just says "remove the back" like it's so obvious they won't waste time on it.

What am I missing here?

Jay
    ?Wanted: Power Steering Parts for a 60 Lark.

If it's like my hawk you just lift it up and pull it out.

Comment

Look below the rear seat back. There should be two screws there that must be removed. Then lift straight up.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

OK, mystery solved. I spotted the two screws and removed them, but it still wasn't coming, and I couldn't spot any other fasteners.

That's because a previous owner had lashed the seat back to the support frame by carefully threading plastic wire ties through the seat springs and the seat frame. He then neatly trimmed them and tucked them behind the cross member so they were invisible when you looked from inside the trunk.

A lot of work, and I have no idea what he was trying to accomplish, but all's well now. Thanks for the help.
        ?Wanted: Power Steering Parts for a 60 Lark.

Comment

The 2 screws prevent the seat back from sliding up. Remove then lift the seat back straight up, do not pull it up toward you. There are 2 hooks stamped in the rear structure that retains the seat frame. Hope this helps.
          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
          64 Zip Van
          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I'm glad this question was asked. I need to remove the rear seat from my Lark to access the side panel and window crank system. I need to replace the right rear quarter chrome trim. The whole procedure looks like a Rube Goldberg puzzle. It looks like a two man job. I've recruited one of my sons to help. Should be interesting.
            Rog
            '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
            Smithtown,NY
            Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

The way Studebaker mounted the rear seat is no different than almost all other makes. If anyone has any question on how they come out just go to any body shop & ask. They do it just about daily.
              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
              64 Zip Van
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
              X