65 Stude with O.D. transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 65 Stude with O.D. transmission

I noticed a 65 Stude for sale on E-bay that has a V-8 with overdrive transmission. I am curious if the transmission is a Saginaw or a Borg-Warner overdrive unit?

If memory serves me correctly, Fred Fox on his article on the 65's mentioned that the Borg Warner was adapted to the McKinnon GM 6's and V8's. I don't think there were many overdrive cars built in 65 or 66, but I did find a 66 Wagonaire V8 years ago in Catalina, north of Tucson. I passed on it not because it was a bad car or a bad price (800.00) but because I was full up on cars at the time.

Bob Miles
    Tucson AZ

Comment

Thanks for the reply Bob. The car looks like it may have potential. The body seems fairly straight and doesn't have major rust issues that I can tell. I think the interior is probably toast because it has New Mexico plates and the u.v. light will eat the interior up quickly if it isn't protected.

Comment

The Sagnaw OD trans in 65 was full synchro (synchro low). Great transmission! To bad Stude didn't use it.
        Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Yes. Dick you are right about the Saginaw O.D.transmission. I had one in a 66 Chevy carryall and between my dad and I we drove it for over 28 years. I used the carryall to tow my race car during part of that time. The carryall had a 283 and 4:11 gears.

Comment

I believe I have a Saginaw trans with overdrive here if anyone needs one- I think it's missing the input shaft.
            Evan Davis
            Prince Albert, Sk

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
              The Sagnaw OD trans in 65 was full synchro (synchro low). Great transmission! To bad Stude didn't use it.
              However, I believe it was only available with the 6 and the 283 (not the 327 or anything bigger).
              Skip Lackie

Comment

This Daytona is very similar to a Daytona on the showroom floor at Ray Tanner Motors at 1500 N Central. Dad was thinking of a new car in 65 and there was one there only it had a white top.

There is a source for NOS interiors for that model that were purchased from Standard Surplus. Best of Luck if you win the car and let me know if there is anything I can do to help. I had a 65 Cruiser but it has the Borg Warner Model 8. It was my daily driver for many years.

Bob Miles
                Tucson AZ

Comment

We used to take 3 speed Saginaw overdrive units and add them to the back of Saginaw 4 speeds back in the 70's.Easily done and worked well.
                  Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Working...
                  X