The Gentleman's Chop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Gentleman's Chop

A beautiful example of the "Gentleman's Chop" is shown in a new listing on Ebay. I believe that this is the only way any K should be chopped. I would have loved to do this to to my Batmobile but wasn't aware of it until my car was painted. I have the issue of Custom Rodder that this chop was introduced in if anyone is interested. Rich Knoblock (Batman)

Studebaker Starliner 2 Door Coupe | eBay
    Attached Files

The chop is fine but the monochrome look and the hood thingie don't do it for me.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Agree. I hate painted chrome and you won't find any on my car. I am also a big fan of Studebaker power. I just warmed up an R-1 to 299ci with head work and cam. See it in Saint Louie.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1107.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	1699116

Comment

I agree, that's the way to chop one. Makes the top and bottom of the window parallel instead of running uphill. The way this car is done it will have a select audience for sure. What I don't understand is why someone would narrow a Ford 8" rear end. Cost would be the same to narrow a 9" and they are not hard to find.
        Pat Dilling
        Olivehurst, CA
        Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Top chop looks good........

The single color looks terrible.
          The front wheel placement is a disaster...as is most everything in the engine compartment.
          The cool rocker cover wingnuts, the must have air cleaner, the upper coolant hose..thing.
          And why would one put the fuel tank in an unapproachable/unreachable location ?
          And for what it's worth...the way too small ground cable.

There's most probably much more to see...

Mike

Comment

There's mostly everything done right on this car. We here will have a different opinion on the details and that's why a custom is so difficult to sell. The seller is correct in that it couldn't be built for twice $22K.

JMHO, but I don't do big-and-littles, side exhausts, fuel cells on a street car, chrome flex radiator hoses, UGLY hood scoops on CK/Avanti or an SBC engine in a Stude. Your opinions and results may vary.

Bottom line - the buyer will be getting a great street ride at the asking price.
            PackardV8

Comment

It's 'okay', but not an improvement over the original design in any way. Someone has taken a lot of time and effort (and no doubt LOTS of money) to achieve nothing in my eyes at 'improving' the '53 body style.

Craig

Comment

Craig, sorry you don't see the improvement with the chop. The chop is called the Gentleman's Chop because it takes care of the upward slope in the roof line so that a "gentleman" driver had ample room over his head to clear his Fedora as he sat behind the wheel. The level roof is really a plus for me. The article showing how the chop was done stated that the first time the bodyman performed the procedure it took him all of 4 hours, and his main tool was a carpenter's circular saw with a carbide blade. One slice into the C pillar (the width of the blade) was all it took to drop the front just short of 2 inches. The rear windshield is retained and only the front windshield is cut down (also the vent wings). The car shown in the article took an hour and a half. This was done in 1961.

Comment

I just sold my 53 coupe with the 2" drop and loved the look but always had a hard time getting in the car and I am only 6 feet tall but older and a little harder bending and twisting , mine being a coupe was more work involved than with a hardtop, it took way more than 4 hours just to get the shape and it was done by a pro custom person, and finished by past owner that owned a body shop, but no matter what one does to a car will not please every one.

This one is all Studebaker and engine is R-3 clone look a like but runs strong, 4 speed and 373 TT rear end bars and rear sway system and lots of chrome, GT interior, car is going to New Zealand.
                  Candbstudebakers
                  Castro Valley,
                  California

Comment

Originally posted by Batman View Post
                    Craig, sorry you don't see the improvement with the chop. The chop is called the Gentleman's Chop because it takes care of the upward slope in the roof line so that a "gentleman" driver had ample room over his head to clear his Fedora as he sat behind the wheel. The level roof is really a plus for me. The article showing how the chop was done stated that the first time the bodyman performed the procedure it took him all of 4 hours, and his main tool was a carpenter's circular saw with a carbide blade. One slice into the C pillar (the width of the blade) was all it took to drop the front just short of 2 inches. The rear windshield is retained and only the front windshield is cut down (also the vent wings). The car shown in the article took an hour and a half. This was done in 1961.
                    Wouldn't you have to alter the side windows? Maybe not in a coupe but in a hardtop?
                    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

I checked the article about the side windows. Aside from the obvious vent windows, the quarter windows were cut "a little off the lower rear corner and a little off the upper forward corner, about 1/2 inch" (direct quote from the article with a photo). I'll bring the magazine to the national for anyone who is interested.

Comment

This started as a South Bend built 1953 Champion Starliner.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The eBay listing states: "may not ship to United States". That, and the distance involved, takes me out of the running.
                          Last edited by studegary; 07-01-2015, 11:16 AM. Reason: corrected quote (removed "the")
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I'm sorry but I have yet to see a body modification to any 53 that is an improvement on the original design......
                            ed ellis

sigpic

the "SUPER COUPE"

Comment

It's in Kelowna, B.C. Not exactly remote. A little over 3 hours north of Okanogan, WA. Shipping a car across the border can be a hassle. I know you are in NY State, Gary, so it is quite a distance. But if the car appeals to you a lot, then the answer would be to fly or drive to Hamilton, ON, and book a flight to Kelowna on Westjet. Kelowna is a resort town, on a big lake with sandy beaches, and all the stuff that resorts are made of. Very pretty area. So you could treat the trip as an enjoyable vacation, even if the car turned out to be less than expected. The if you view the car, and buy it, get the paperwork in order, and export it yourself to Washington state, arrange for transport for the car, and fly home.
                              Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Working...
                              X