Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 283 SBC Studebaker Aluminum Valve Covers

Just in case you're interested.

Last edited by sweetolbob; 06-28-2015, 07:05 PM.

Nice. Now if we could just get a similar set for the Studebaker built engine.

Comment

Someone should straighten the guy out concerning his reason for Studebaker using bowtie motors.
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by Jessie J. View Post
        Nice. Now if we could just get a similar set for the Studebaker built engine.
        I have seen similar valve covers for Studebaker V8's. I assume they are still available, but to be honest I don't where or from whom.
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
          Someone should straighten the guy out concerning his reason for Studebaker using bowtie motors.
          Tell us the real reason..... Inquiring minds want to know.
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
            I have seen similar valve covers for Studebaker V8's. I assume they are still available, but to be honest I don't where or from whom.
            Offenhauser still makes them.. you can purchase them from a number of places, here is one

Find STUDEBAKER Offenhauser Cast Aluminum Valve Covers and get Free Shipping on Orders Over $109 at Summit Racing! Offenhauser cast aluminum valve covers have one of the largest application offerings, to cover some of the rarest engines that many neglect to cover. They feature a stout cast aluminum design to resist those gasket-sealing woes, and the finned tops add style while dissipating engine heat. The covers have a high-luster polished finish, with the classic Offenhauser name to top them off.
            Mark Chance

1933 Model 56 5 window Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
              Tell us the real reason..... Inquiring minds want to know.
              It goes without saying the reason is obvious, the Engine Plant was shut down and destroyed, so they saved no money, just had NO choice.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Don't ya just have to wonder WHERE they get these "Compatibility Lists"? I think it may be eBay that puts out this garbage just like you see on Catalytic Converters, Antennas, Mirrors and all kinds of junk that does not FIT.

These Chev. V8 Valve Covers "Fit" Stude. 170 Sixes, 259, 289 and 304 Stude. V8's, 194 and 230 Sixes, REALLY?
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

And they're gonna destroy the molds after the first 100. Limited editions. Picasso on eBay!
                  Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    It goes without saying the reason is obvious, the Engine Plant was shut down and destroyed, so they saved no money, just had NO choice.
                    Which begs the question..."why did they shut down the engine plant?"
                    Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
                      Which begs the question..."why did they shut down the engine plant?"
                      Supposedly it wasn't economically doable to run the foundry/machine shop at the capacity the Canadian factory would use them. Too small a production number...
                      64 GT Hawk (K7)
                      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
                        Supposedly it wasn't economically doable to run the foundry/machine shop at the capacity the Canadian factory would use them. Too small a production number...
                        Mine was kind of a rhetorical question (as was Jeff's I believe).

They could get Chevy engines cheaper than producing their own (just what the listing states).
                        Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

"Nice. Now if we could just get a similar set for the Studebaker built engine."

I agree that is a nice looking valve cover. But I assume everyone here knows that John Erb still makes these for the Stude V8s. He sold me a single valve cover which I used to make my intake plenum.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Intake plenum cover with Throttle body.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	1699077
                          Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
                          See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post

What's the point in calling a Chevrolet engine a Studebaker engine?.....We see a lot of this today...Example: Olds 'Rocket' rocker arm covers on a small block Chevy....... Seems like complete nonsense to me!

Comment

It is nonsense, but it's a fiction the manufacturers do for advertising purposes. If the manufacturer states it's a Chebbie engine in the Oldsmobile or Buick they want to sell you, then why buy the Olds or Buick? That's why GM pulled most engine development into one entity...GM Powertrain. While each car division might get an engine of slightly different specs, they're still GM, not Olds, Buick, Pontiac, etc.
                              Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Working...
                              X