Jeepster convoy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeepster convoy

I was at the shop Saturday doing some welding underneath Josh's car when Heard him say "There goes a cool car, HEY,there's another one! I rolled out to see 4 restored Jeepsters turning around and pulling into my yard.These folks were from Florida but had driven their Jeepsters to Nova Scotia,and were headed home.When they saw all my Studebakers,they had to stop. I'm sorry I didn't have my camera with me.

One of the men noticed my M series and said "That would make a cool street rod. Is it for sale?"

I told him No, that it was a future project.
    He then offered $3000. on the spot.I told him "thank you but No, these cars are my private collection and nothing here is for sale." He shook my hand and said "Can't blame a fellow for asking." He gave me his card in case I change my mind.

I was promptly scolded by my son-in-law,"Man, I would'a took that in a heartbeat! You didn't pay but $400. when you bought it!"

I explained if I took the 3 grand it would be spent in a month and I wouldn't the truck or the cash.
    So the old truck is still here and I still hope to live long enough to fix it.

Besides, He was gonna "Street Rod"it
    Attached Files
    Neil Thornton

3 grand would've given you a nice start on that '49 convertible. That's a lot of money for that truck.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
      3 grand would've given you a nice start on that '49 convertible. That's a lot of money for that truck.
      True, but then I wouldn't have an M series.
      Neil Thornton

Comment

I know you didn't like it when I sold the '58 Commander. You told Josh that I should, "keep it forever" when we brought it home. But I sold it because I knew the buyer would put it back on the road, and I likely wouldn't. And seeing the car back on the road was more important than me owning it. The car is still on the road today because I made that decision. Even built as a street rod, isn't that better than watching the truck settle into the dirt deeper each year?

I mean this as respectfully as I can, but you do have a lot of projects that haven't been touched in several years. It might not be a bad idea to let go of a few to focus on two or three of them instead of 15.

Comment

I know you didn't like it when I sold the '58 Commander. You told Josh that I should, "keep it forever" when we brought it home. But I sold it because I knew the buyer would put it back on the road, and I likely wouldn't. And seeing the car back on the road was more important than me owning it. The car is still on the road today because I made that decision. Even built as a street rod, isn't that better than watching the truck settle into the dirt deeper each year?

I mean this as respectfully as I can, but you do have a lot of projects that haven't been touched in several years. It might not be a bad idea to let go of a few to focus on two or three of them instead of 15.
          I also have pictures of you from 20 years ago. They are not for sale either.
          Neil Thornton

Comment

Originally posted by rockinhawk View Post
            I also have pictures of you from 20 years ago. They are not for sale either.
            Well...you two have made my day with the above exchange.

Regardless of the value of the truck...your banter is priceless.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Tell us about the turn signals on the front of the truck? Don't know that I have ever seen them before.

Comment

Originally posted by 70Avanti2 View Post
                Tell us about the turn signals on the front of the truck? Don't know that I have ever seen them before.
                I don't know about them.They were on the truck when I bought it.
                Neil Thornton

Comment

Neil, PM sent.
                  Jim
                  I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

As I recall, you have a Scotsman there that hasn't been touched in several years...

Comment

Originally posted by Guido View Post

As I recall, you have a Scotsman there that hasn't been touched in several years...
                      Yep. And if someone came along and offered me more than I felt it was worth with promises to put it back on the road, I'd have a lot of thinking to do. It may rust away before I have a chance to do anything with it. I got in over my head thinking I could do a full restoration at my young age. Lesson learned. I haven't had a Studebaker that needed restoration since.

My grandad has always been reluctant about selling any of his cars. It's how he enjoys the hobby. He probably thinks I'm crazy for selling the Studes I had. The world would be pretty boring if we were all the same.
                      Last edited by mbstude; 06-29-2015, 05:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 70Avanti2 View Post
                        I think they're from a '46 Ford.

Comment

I think they're from a '46 Ford.
                          Looks right.
                          Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Neil, Did that M series at one time have a big kerosene tank bolted down to the bed?? If it did, I know that truck..

Comment

Originally posted by benaslopoke View Post
                              Neil, Did that M series at one time have a big kerosene tank bolted down to the bed?? If it did, I know that truck..
                              Ben,It doesn't appear to have had anything bolted bolted in.Ibought in Savannah many years ago. My son and I got it running, drove it around the farm some. Last year I bought some left over parts from a friend in Jesup who is building a street rod. I have everything I need to fix it except time.
                              Neil Thornton

Comment

Working...
                              X