PS fluid clarification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: PS fluid clarification

I'm new to this & want to make sure I do it right, for my '63 Avanti. I've rebuilt the PS & I thought the fluid should be Dextron, but I recently saw a thread that mentioned type "F" ATF. What is the the correct fluid?
    Thanks,

Most of us prefer Ford Type "F" or "FA" and some have used Dexron without a problem.
    Just be sure to flush it out by removing the "Return Hose" at the Reservoir to start fresh with your choice and keep a can of ATF in the Car, marked "P/S" NOT Trans. unless you use Type F for the P/S.

It is not the best idea to Mix them.

Many have had problems using the Newer "Power Steering Fluid" and a very few, have not had a problem.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I use nothing but type F for tranny and PS in my 64 Avanti & 64 Daytona.

Denny L

Comment

I'm certainly not an expert either but I just read up on this issue. From what I have learned, older Ford transmissions used more friction to operate and so ran 'hotter' than other units. You needed to run Type F in older Fords (later Mercon) but Dextron worked for GM and other cars. Every source said never mix the two because there could be compatabily problems with the soft seals and so on. My 66 manual calls for Type A, Suffix A fluid in both the transmission and PS. Many sources say that Type A is the same as Dextron and that Dextron III is backward compatable with Type A, Suffix A. I have just rebuilt my transmission and have been told that the newer Dextron III will is the correct ATF to use. Although the PS is stock, I will also use Dextron III in it.

There is also Shell S1 ATF TASA, which is Type A, Suffix A, being sold for trucks and off-road vehicles but I'm not sure if it would be any good for our purposes.

Comment

PS fluid clarification

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          Most of us prefer Ford Type "F" or "FA" and some have used Dexron without a problem.
          Just be sure to flush it out by removing the "Return Hose" at the Reservoir to start fresh with your choice and keep a can of ATF in the Car, marked "P/S" NOT Trans. unless you use Type F for the P/S.

It is not the best idea to Mix them.

Many have had problems using the Newer "Power Steering Fluid" and a very few, have not had a problem.
          Rich,
          Thanks for the preference. I'm sure there will be plenty more questions as I go through the rebuild.

Comment

Working...
          X