Time Magazine 1945

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time Magazine 1945

Standing in line at the Publix Supermarket today, my grand daughter spotted a Studebaker on the cover of Time Magazine issue 1945.
    Look PopPop she said, it's a Studebaker!
    Yes! It's a picture of the 1947 Studebaker Woody station wagon, thank you eagle eye Emma!
    sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

The 47 woody wagon got onto the cover of Time magazine in 1945??

Maybe it was time traveler magazine.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Well, I guess the folks over to Time used a bit of artistic license.
      sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
      Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
      "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

He's right! It's apparently a special issue that is on some newsstands now, although not at the store I went to today.Click image for larger version

Name:	time.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	1699059 Since it is now Time-Life, the photo obviously came from the Sept. 16th, 1946 issue of Life Magazine. Why a one-of-one prototype station wagon, intended for 1947 production, was chosen for a story about 1945 is unclear to me.
        Last edited by Dwain G.; 06-28-2015, 07:15 PM. Reason: additional
        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

The Motorola television on the cover is a 1952 or 1953 model.

I guess the editors of the magazine didn't care about anachronisms, which really bugs me for some reason.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Could it be that there's a few remnants of print media that yearn for days when they had relevance, credibility, integrity, valued factual accuracy, and an education to support the requisite skills? However...looks like, even with this encouraging "spark," they can't accurately remember the "heyday" of their own profession. Who'd have ever thunk, we'd witness our decent into the next "dark-ages" holding laptops, smartphones, and tablets in our hands, tuned to the latest "cause-celeb" demonstrations, search for Bigfoot, or Brian Williams news/adventure summary.

Perhaps, the collage of pictures was gathered to depict moments of the era...not specific year. After all, limiting 1945 to only 1945, surely could offend somebody, somewhere???
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
            X