Studebakers running Flo Masters.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebakers running Flo Masters.

I know some here are using them,I'm curious what the muffler" "body" dimensions are - width,height,and length.I'm not too concerned about the inlet/outlet pipe connections.
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
    I know some here are using them,I'm curious what the muffler" "body" dimensions are - width,height,and length.I'm not too concerned about the inlet/outlet pipe connections.
    That is a question that has a variety of answers. There is not one size that fits all Studebakers or applications. Go under your car and determine (measure) the space available factoring in crossmembers, brake/fuel lines, parking brake cables, driveshaft and the need for radiused bends. Then go to this link and scroll down to page 125 (it takes a while for the PDF to load)http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/te...l_2014_web.pdf . There is a list of sizes they make along with in/out diameters and in/out positions. All these are important factors.

All that said, the Flowmasters I've used (including their less aggressive 50 series) have a horrendous drone right in the middle of the normal driving range (1,900 to 2,600 RPM). The sound is like a form of acoustic torture that follows the car just about everywhere it goes.
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

I been looking for a muffler that is quiet but flows well. By quiet i mean quiet stock mufflers with a 2" to 2 1/4 inlet and outlet. I want them for a 54 K, and my 64 Commander.
      101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

With any type of muffler, you have to be careful for resonance issues.
        Last set of Flowmasters I ran had a great sound.
        Mellow, and quiet...as long as I drove it quiet.
        But (duals with no x-cross) there was a nasty resonance at cruising rpm that was almost painful.
        The answer? Extended the tail pipe tips about 1".
        Completely changed the frequency, and killed the resonance at that rpm.
        All I am saying is don't be afraid to try something, but don't automatically toss it out if it needs some 'tuning'...
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Flowmaster makes just about any size & style muffler size you could want so go to their website and search for whatever size you think you need. http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/?page_id=13118 I have MagnaFlow SS mufflers on my GT and they work great, same lifetime guarantee and no drumming noises. Mine are: body length 14", inlet to outlet length 20", 2 1/4" inlet is center body, 2 1/4" outlet is offset and cross section is 5" X 8" oval. Pretty sure Flowmaster has the same size.

Comment

Some years ago when the Plain Brown Wrapper needed mufflers for the Pure Stock Drags, I asked organizer Dan Jensen what the competitors were using. He said many of the fastest cars were using DynoMax Ultra Flo mufflers. They are straight-through design, but they are not especially loud. I don't particularly want really loud mufflers, and I love the sound of the DynoMax. They make a nice rumble at idle and in normal driving, but they "bark" nicely when you get on it. They don't seem to have any undesirable resonances, but of course many variables go into whether or not a car has those, including crossover pipes, diameter of exhaust system, exact lengths, etc. The Wrapper has certainly performed well on those mufflers. I like them so much I just bought another pair for my '63 R2 Lark.

George
            george krem

Comment

I've used 2 chamber Flow Masters on my 289 4 speed 54 Coupe for decades. I love the sound. It does have a resonance at certain speeds. My car does not have carpets, nor door panels, nor headliner, nor radio, so it does get loud. Its been this way for many many years and I never get tired of the sound. When I make a drive for any significant distance, I use foam earplugs. It keeps the droning from making my head swim. But for all the in town driving, I've always loved to hear the "music" of that exhaust note. I've pulled into car shows and have had numerous people ask if I was running a big block Chevy.
              sals54

Comment

I have dynomax super turbo mufflers on mine. 2 1/4 offset center and its quiet on the highway . No drone but sounds nice at idle.
                sigpic

Comment

During the first few years of the dual exhaust era - mid-50s to early '60s, Ford and GM each had an exhaust design strategy to eliminate the drone/resonance which V8s develop at cruising RPM. Ford used a crossover H-pipe connecting the two head pipes. GM ran separate pipes and mufflers and added two rear canisters behind the rear axle. Today, because of the cost of catalytic converters, most vehicles with two tailpipes are actually a single muffler behind the rear axle.

jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

According to this chart, Flowmasters don't really flow that well:
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                      ... But (duals with no x-cross) there was a nasty resonance at cruising rpm that was almost painful. The answer? Extended the tail pipe tips about 1". Completely changed the frequency, and killed the resonance at that rpm. All I am saying is don't be afraid to try something, but don't automatically toss it out if it needs some 'tuning'...
                      For the record the horrendous drone at 1,900-2,600 RPM was with a 318 Plymouth Valiant, cast exhaust manifolds going 2 into 1 through a single Flowmaster 50 series (three chamber). The exhaust did extend beyond the car and was even eventually aimed at the ground in an attempt to absorb the noise. In a desperate attempt to fix the problem I added a modern import type muffler at the end and adjusted the variable outlet to the minimum. All this was to no avail and after the test it was removed.

As best I could tell the resonance was emanating from within the Flowmaster, across the air gap and into the car structure. So, anything down stream had no effect. For the record this was a fully carpeted/upholstered car that prior to the exhaust change was about the quietest 70's era car I had driven in.
                      '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Working...
                      X