X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Windsheild wiper parking

1957 G H
    Cumming, Ga

Hi there fellow StudBusters: I have a question about parking the wipers on a 57 gh. Don't have a motor yet but it looks like the parking function must belong the the motor itself. Is that correct??
    I am thinking of using a new 1997 Dodge 1500 wiper motor ( fitment looks almost the same as Stude), but I'm not sure how to park the wiper blade other than becoming real good at timing the off switch?
    Any help is appreciated as always. Ken

IAM NOT a "StudBuster", but I will attack your questions.
    The park function is part of the motor circuit/operation. You can turn the switch off at any point and the wipers will continue to the park position (at the base of the windshield, if the wipers themselves are properly placed on the shafts).
    Now, my question - Why not use a Studebaker wiper motor? They very rarely wear out.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

In case you have not read about it, I am doing a lot of very complicated upgrades on my 48 Champion, but there are two things I decided were just not worth the effort - self-parking wipers and self cancelling turn signals. I am using a wiper system from a Mazda RX-7, mainly because they seem to be very reliable and I have several. The two speed switch is easy, but the self parking and intermittent operation are controlled in the Mazda by a mysterious little black box that has numerous unrelated things going on, all the warning buzzers, etc, and the internals of this little box are apparently a closely guarded secret! But with the wipers on low speed, I think parking it will be easy.
      Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
      See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Comment

Not worth the effort? That would be pretty annoying driving a Car that does not work because you refuse to simply install the correct Parts. No "effort" in that at all. I guess if it makes sense to YOU, it is YOUR Car but you will be the ONLY one who feels that way.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Studygary, I totally agree with you....You are not a "Fellow Studbuster".. As far as the WHY,, This new 97 Dodge wiper motor has been on my shelf since 1998 or 99. Seemed like a good way to use it..

Comment

48skyliner thanks for the input. I also agree that timing the "park position" using the switch would not be a big deal. The chances of my STUD being caught in a rain storm will be purely accidental anyway..still I would like for the wipers to move to the park position without undue DRAMA.. Later on,,,ken

Comment

I used a momentary switch to park my subaru wiper motor. You can find how in Bob Johnstone's website

Comment

5brown1, Thanks for the input,, I will check it out..

Comment

Parts for the Bosche/Redmond/Autolite 12 volt wiper motors are not rare or expensive, and they are fairly easy to pull apart and service yourself without special tools or electrical experience. I am sure there are many here on the forum who would be glad to walk you through any needed repairs.

Chris.

Comment

The question remains. If the wipers don't park, does the whole motor need to be replaced?

Comment

On a 57 Stude wiper motor, there's a park switch internal to the motor gearbox. There are tabs which slide against a cam and can wear off causing the park feature to no longer work. They are replaceable.

One other item on a wiper system is that both the motor and the switch MUST be grounded for the park feature to work. Usually the switch is bolted to the dash facing which is grounded through the underside dash brace. The motor has a ground wire from it to the firewall..
                      64 GT Hawk (K7)
                      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

WHAT is a "STUDBUSTER" ?
                        I've never heard of it ?
                        Hipster saying, maybe ?
                        Has anyone else heard of it in reference to Studebakers ?
                        Any name can be made up, but it has to mean something to who it is announce.
                        I don't know that it is something I want to be called.
                        CASO. Yeah. OK.
                        Fellow Stude Owner. Sure.
                        ??? Hey, You drive a Kaiser, Cool. ???
                        But Studbuster. I....don't think so.
                        I hope you get an answer to your question.
                        I'm sure someone on here has swapped wiper motors successfully.
                        South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Working...
                        X