PDA

View Full Version : Clutch/Torque Converter: Went to take my 41 out for a drive, I think I have a clutch problem

FreddyBHall
06-24-2015, 07:25 PM
Fellow Stude'rs, Started up my ride(41' Commander, 226cuin 3 speed standard with overdrive) and backed out of the garage, down the driveway out onto the street. Made my way about 3 miles from home and stopped at the coffee shop. As I came to a stop and pushed in the clutch, she started to make a repeated scraping sound, when I let the clutch out it stopped.
I repeated the steps press in, scraping sound increased the more I pressed in... as I lifted off to engage the scraping noise decreased.
Turned her around and drove her straight home...sitting in the driveway repeated the peddle play, same response, plus a new smell.
Is this a sign I need a new clutch or maybe a simple adjustment?:QQ:

41 Frank
06-24-2015, 09:14 PM
Sounds like the clutch throw out bearing might have went bad.

FreddyBHall
06-24-2015, 09:32 PM
Thanks Frank, one of my local club members called me to say the same

TWChamp
06-24-2015, 11:06 PM
I was also going to say the same, but the "new smell" might mean the disc is also going. Does the throwout bearing have a grease zerk? If it does, then try greasing the bearing and see what happens.

karterfred88
06-25-2015, 09:20 AM
Sounds like the throw out bearing took a dump, or the arms pushing on the cross shaft are hitting the outside of the bearing shell. Time for a new clutch assembly and a close check of the clutch release parts, Sorry, I don't think some grease is going to help any.

FreddyBHall
06-28-2015, 05:31 PM
i haven't had her on a hoist yet, can i see the zerk lying underneath?