PDA

View Full Version : 2R pickup Am I seeing this right?

52-fan
06-24-2015, 03:50 PM
I wrote to the person selling a truck on Ebay about what looks like a cover over the driver's side step. He replied that the truck did not have a cover there and what I was seeing was paint. What does it look like to you?

karterfred88
06-24-2015, 03:53 PM
Looks like a rubber mat. Painted blue. Or a piece of sheet metal laid over the step area, screwed in place and painted blue

E. Davis
06-24-2015, 04:05 PM
Looks like the step area probably rusted out or was damaged and he covered it. Sure ain't paint.

52-fan
06-24-2015, 05:03 PM
I probably can't afford another Studebaker right now anyway, but I really want a 2R pickup. I am tempted to bid and see what happens. Maybe I just need to take a cold shower or something. ;)

Guido
06-24-2015, 05:25 PM
Looks like a poor quality redneck repair.

GinettaG12P
06-24-2015, 06:04 PM
Definitely part of a banjo cover.

JDP
06-24-2015, 06:23 PM
Looks like the Studebaker step plate repair panel kit that was sold though the dealers.

63t-cab
06-25-2015, 08:15 AM
John I thought the same,but I don't see the small skid strip attached.maybe they all did not come that way,or this one was removed ?

Looks like the Studebaker step plate repair panel kit that was sold though the dealers.

52-fan
06-25-2015, 09:06 AM
The seller got back to me and said he sent his wife out to look and she saw the plate. Apparently, he has suffered an injury and can't look for himself. He also said she found patches in the floors and that there are the typical rust holes in the back cab corners. I guess that even though he had tinkered on the truck some, he did not really take a good hard look. Hard to believe, but I guess it can happen.

JDP
06-25-2015, 09:11 AM
John I thought the same,but I don't see the small skid strip attached.maybe they all did not come that way,or this one was removed ?

Not, sure since it's been maybe 30 years since I've seen a kit.

Skip Lackie
06-25-2015, 04:46 PM

I agree with JDP. I had a set of those and they look just like that. You didn't have to remove the rubber skid plate -- mine fell off as I took the panels out of the boxes.

JDP
06-25-2015, 05:00 PM
I agree with JDP. I had a set of those and they look just like that. You didn't have to remove the rubber skid plate -- mine fell off as I took the panels out of the boxes.

I sold either you or Larry the factory accessory sheet for them Skipper.

63t-cab
06-25-2015, 08:12 PM
Skip, the skid plate I mention is metal mesh that's spot/tack welded in place "I have a pair of these made that way,but do wonder if all were made the same way"?

Skip Lackie
06-26-2015, 11:54 AM
I sold either you or Larry the factory accessory sheet for them Skipper.

Yes, I bought them from you. I still have the left hand one, which got mangled when the truck was totalled in 1977. I haven't seen the RH one in a long time.

Skip Lackie
06-26-2015, 11:56 AM
Skip, the skid plate I mention is metal mesh that's spot/tack welded in place "I have a pair of these made that way,but do wonder if all were made the same way"?

Apparently not. The set I had had rubber floor mat material glued to the flat surface.