Shipping 50 Champion From MN to CO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping 50 Champion From MN to CO

I previously had posted about buying a 50 Champion barn find in MN. My issue now is getting the car from western MN to CO. Once in CO I could go pick it up. Any body have experience with a shipping company? Anyone driving from MN to CO this summer, I'd be willing to pay gas and trailer rental. Thank-you in advance.

TThor
    Colorado Springs

I and others here have used PEG trucking multiple times with fair pricing and great service. cheers jimmijim
    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Ditto on Peg Trucking,for me they quoted a price and when the truck got here it was $100 cheaper.
      101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

I have used DAS (dependable auto shippers) many times and been very satisfied.

Comment

Being that you state the car is a "barn find" I'd think there is a fair likelihood that the car doesn't run, and may not stop (once rolling). This will increase the shipping price. Often the car does not stay on the same trailer during its transport. So, a car that is not running/stopping will drive up the price.

Also be aware of the shady shippers out there. They will give you a low-ball price to "get you into a contract". Then IF they have a truck going in the direction of that location they will pick it up. Basically they hold you up for 30 days as they wait and see "if/when" they even have a truck close to your car. The 30 days can pass and they simply are obligated to refund your money (I'm sure with hidden fees involved). Another thing that can happen is a shipper picks up your car and brings it a certain distance. Then it gets left in a yard while it waits for another truck headed closer to you. That may never happen and you can get stuck with impound fees at the yard.

I was going to ship a car but after reading these types of horror stories just opted to fly to the location and rent a truck & trailer to bring the car back myself. Even that had it's own horror stories of requesting a "small" truck and trailer and then found out some people got stuck with an 8 MPG, 24 foot box van with 325,000 miles on it (that broke down often).

For what it's worth U-Haul was about 40% cheaper than anybody else but had the worse reviews. I nervously went that route because cost was a factor. To my surprise when I arrived at U-Haul (Bayshore S.F. area) the truck and trailer were already set up and waiting for me. The "yard boy" (really a young man) was very nice and helpful. U-Haul requires any auto trailer to be pulled with nothing smaller than a 10 foot box van. Thankfully this one only had 7,000 miles on it and I got 13 MPG pulling the car and trailer strictly staying to the 55 MPH limit.

I'm not trying to scare you, only make you aware of worse case scenarios. Most likely you will have to pay for a quality reputation - or get the car yourself. And as I stated a car that potentially doesn't run/stop only complicates the matter.
          '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

tthor Where abouts in CO. and what town in MN. I made a trip to az with a car last year. What do you feel it's worth to you to have it delivered? A road trip may be fun if I could find one coming back.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by swvalcon; 06-24-2015, 02:23 PM.

Comment

another recommendation for Peg's Trucking!

also, don't use her internet site, call her and let her know it's a Studebaker and she was recommended by members of the SDC Forum. you'll get a better price...
              Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

I used PEG to get my 52 delivered from Virginia. It cost $150.00 extra because the car would not run at the time. My car arrived in an enclosed trailer.
                "In the heart of Arkansas."
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

Reply to Shipping Question

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                  tthor Where abouts in CO. and what town in MN. I made a trip to az with a car last year. What do you feel it's worth to you to have it delivered? A road trip may be fun if I could find one coming back.

The car is in Canby MN, approx. 10 miles from SD border. I live in Colorado Springs, but could meet anywhere in CO with trailer. The location it's at is a friends heavy equipment construction company, worst comes to worst trey a dozers that could push it on a trailer. Price I would pay? I would be fair and open to discussing the price.

Thanks

TTHOR

Comment

If you have a truck and trailer why not go get it. It's not that far.

Comment

Originally posted by tthor View Post
                      The car is in Canby MN, approx. 10 miles from SD border. I live in Colorado Springs, but could meet anywhere in CO with trailer. The location it's at is a friends heavy equipment construction company, worst comes to worst trey a dozers that could push it on a trailer. Price I would pay? I would be fair and open to discussing the price.

Thanks

TTHOR
                      Hey! ...this looks great! This could be a win for all of us. We get to follow the start of a lifelong friendship between forum members, a great "road-trip" adventure story, and see another Studebaker rescued/resuscitated/restored. Even if things go wrong between you two...more opportunities for us to blast away with our opinions. Recreation for all!
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I would be willing to ride shotgun and we could stop at Bert's in Denver on the way back. Bert's has tons of Model A parts, both new and used. I stopped there when my friend and I helped his daughter move to Colorado Springs about 12 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                        X