Horn use question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Horn use question

MANY...years back, I put a pair of 1940 Ford (6 volt) "horns" on my first car, a 56 Chevy, 210 sedan. These along with the original horns, sounded like a small freight train horn. It was great fun...!
    The BIG long trumpet horns finally burned out from the 12 volt system.

So my question is, those of you that have gone from a 6 volt system to a 12 volt system, have you had a horn "burnout" problem or do the Stude 6 volt horns live ok under a 12 volt system ?
    This question is for my 54 wagon turning to a 12 volt system, powered daily driver.

Thanks

Mike

Mike; My 53 K still has its 6 Volt horns. I converted it over to 12 volts around 1963 or 64. Still work, but I do not drive around like some of these people who hit the horn as soon as the light changes.

Comment

Mine are still fine, and quite loud, under 12-volts but, like Alan, I only toot when necessary.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Sounds good.
        Thanks guys.

Mike

Comment

In 1960-1962, I was driving in Long Island traffic on a regular basis. I put six volt horns in my 12 volt car. When I hit the horn, cars would move out of the way and then look for the truck coming <G>. I only remembering having to rebuild the relay on occasion, never a horn problem.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
          X