Pulling the Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Pulling the Engine

I'm pulling my 259 out of my 1964 Wagonaire to replace the seals and frost plugs. It's almost ready to come out, BUT, how do you disconnect the speedo cable from the trans. The X in the frame is under all that stuff. I'm thinking, if I disconnect the driveshaft back by the rear end, then pull the motor and trans forward past the X in the frame, then cable can be disconnected . Any advice would be helpful. I need to get this done before the end of August.
    Steve

Which transmission do you have? Just had my engine and transmission out of my Wagonaire. I have a Flight-O-Matic and it was reachable from underneath the car, speedometer cable was retained by 1/4 inch bolt which held the cable hold in clamp.
    sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Why not support the transmission and separate the engine from the transmission and remove only the engine, since that's what you want to work on? Lot's less work.
      Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
      '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
      '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
      '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Originally posted by brngarage View Post
        Why not support the transmission and separate the engine from the transmission and remove only the engine, since that's what you want to work on? Lot's less work.
        Why didn't I remember doing the job that way! My 1963 Wagonaire had leaking core plugs and a stripped ring gear on the toque converter. That's the way I took it apart! Old man, old brain that's me!
        Thank you Howard!
        sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
        Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
        "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Originally posted by brngarage View Post
          Drain the torque converter, and remove the 6 bolts that hold it to the flex plate..

After you pull your engine, make sure you remove the torque converter and replace the front seal on the transmission. Even if it is not leaking, it will.. and in for a penny, in for a pound..

I've heard it said to replace the flex plate as well, less you hear it knocking down the road..

Comment

Working...
          X