B/W Type 35 automatic.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B/W Type 35 automatic.

Anybody here have experience with these, as used in '63-'64 six cylinder cars? Are they good, bad, or indifferent? Certainly a lot lighter and more compact than the Model 8 Flightomatic. Does it have first-gear start? I just cleaned one up, that came out of a '63 Lark, and I'm pretty sure I drove the car in a loop around the yard before stripping it out, but I don't remember whether it had first-gear start or not.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Google 'Borg-Warner Type 35' and open the Wikipedia article. It seems comprehensive. /H

Comment

I've owned a couple - the Plymouth Valiant (sold as Chrysler Valiant here) had BW35's instead of the Chrysler transmission due to local content laws (when they switched from imported to local assembly in 64? -don't quote me on that date). And also behind a Rover V8 (ex early 60's Buick 215 V8, bought by Rover and further developed). Both transmissions started in first from "D".
      With the Rover P5b 1969 Coupe, it seemed to handle the power quite well- mine was a fairly late incarnation, and bored out to 4.8 litres - never had in dyno'ed, but previous owner claimed 168kw, approx. 200hp. I did drive the P5b like Grandad though (very stately car), so can't really say how strong they are. Jaguar also use them behind the 4.2 six, which has plenty of grunt. I cannot recollect hearing of any issues with the BW35 behind the Jag motor. Read that Wikipedia description - the later BW35's are better able to handle power than the version used behind Studebaker sixes - pick one up from a Rambler or a Jag and put it in the Stude.

Comment

Didn't a lot of English cars use those? This would included the likes of Rootes Group, Triumph, BMC, et al. Even the early Datsun 510's used them for a while, and I remember the chrome B-W logo on the rear of ones so equipped. The 35 was arguably the automatic 'transmission-of-choice' for small-displacement engines in the 1960's.

Craig

Comment

Didn't Ford also use that trans behind their straight six in the Falcon, etc?

Comment

sigpic

Comment

SI has racks of NOS of the BW-35 transmissions in South Bend.

Comment

I am surprised that so many makes I did not know actually used these lightweight, lower strength BW's.
                Also that no one has mentioned the Cars they are most famous for being used in, the AMC Cars, Rambler for one.

That is the version that Studebaker used with a Low Gear Start.
                I never heard of there being a problem with them, as Studebaker never put enough Power in front of them, to hurt them.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by DieselJim View Post
                  SI has racks of NOS of the BW-35 transmissions in South Bend.
                  I had inquired to SI about purchasing one of these but they seemed quite uncertain about what the interior condition is of the ones they have in stock (new and shiny vs. wet and rusty).
                  Mark Hayden
                  '66 Commander

Comment

Mark, I can pull the pan and check for rust. I'm currently in Wyoming at the Grand Teton National Park. Will be back in South Bend in July.

Comment

Hi I don't think Jag used the type 35 here in the states , They did use the DG 250 ,model 8/12, TH400, AND In the seventies they used the Model 65 behind the 4.2 which a few parts from the 35 fit , Ed

Comment

Originally posted by DieselJim View Post
                        Mark, I can pull the pan and check for rust. I'm currently in Wyoming at the Grand Teton National Park. Will be back in South Bend in July.

Thanks Jim, much appreciated and there is no rush - The BW 35 in my '66 Commander works great (it's the model behind the 230 6 cyl. = P/N 1564207), it's a 36K mile car but there is a crack in the trans case near the shift linkage that continuously leaves pools of trans fluid after a top up. JB Weld and other attempts to stop the leak have all failed. With the discount, the NOS ones at SI are about $585 and there is no way I can get a shop to pull mine and repair it for under a $1000. Hence the reason I am looking at options. A member in Portland can get me a good used case for a very reasonable price, but the labor to redo the existing transmission is what gets you.

BTW, these transmissions were also used in Volvos in the '60's.

Mark Hayden
                        '66 Commander

Comment

Working...
                        X