259 Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 259 Rebuild

Well more bad news today from the builder. The vibration damper cushions were shot. The Flex plate is held together with only 2 1/8th in. peices of metal. Motor is just worn out.[xx(]
    Too far into it to stop now.

John Ratliff

That's how they are supposed to be. New cushions are $10.95/pair from most Stude vendors.

Has your rebuilder ever done a Stude V8 before?

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

That's how they are supposed to be. New cushions are $10.95/pair from most Stude vendors.

Has your rebuilder ever done a Stude V8 before?

Dick, I don't think that is how they are supposed to be. They are bouth chewed up real bad.
      As to the parts, I may just wait until Reedsville is over and then start calling. Seams every one is there this weekend.
      By the way is the person who bought your Black Beauty a SDC member?
      Will the car be coming to the Bay Area?

John Ratliff

Comment

John; it may surprise you to know that most Stude. vendors West of the Rocky Mountains and possibly Indiana, have no idea where Readsville is, and certainly would not go there! we're business as usual!

quote:Originally posted by John Ratliff

As to the parts, I may just wait until Reedsville is over and then start calling. Seams every one is there this weekend.
        StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:Originally posted by John Ratliff

Dick, I don't think that is how they are supposed to be. They are bouth chewed up real bad.
          By the way is the person who bought your Black Beauty a SDC member?
          Will the car be coming to the Bay Area?
          Yea, the rubber parts do deteriorate, but they are inexpensively and easily replaced unlike most modern dampers, which generally have to replaced as a unit when the rubber deteriorates (and are expensive).

If the METAL discs are all chewed up, that's a different story. I'm not sure how that would occur, but if they are, they should be replaced and the source for the destruction found and corrected.

My Starliner is going to Stockton...in fact, it left this morning (sniff, sniff). The new owner is not a Stude guy, but I think I talked him in to joining SDC.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

John, are you talking about two different parts? The rubber cushions up front, and the torque converter flex plate in the rear?

Dwain G.
            Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

That's what I was wondering???[?]

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dwain G.

John, are you talking about two different parts? The rubber cushions up front, and the torque converter flex plate in the rear?

Dwain G.
                Dwain & Bob, Yep!
                So the cushions can just be replaced without matching to the balancer?

John Ratliff

Comment

Huh?

Comment

Working...
                  X