Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(6/22/2015) Fatal Accident Involving a Studebaker (Western Wisconsin)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (6/22/2015) Fatal Accident Involving a Studebaker (Western Wisconsin)

(snippet copy - see link for entire article)

A 1951 Studebaker pickup truck crashed into a ditch while pulling a camper in western Wisconsin,
    leaving an 85-year-old passenger dead and the 74-year-old driver hospitalized with life-threatening injuries, authorities said.

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

That is a shame. Jerome is listed in my SDC Roster as having at least three Studebakers. The truck is modified, but "...pulling a camper.."?
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I am not commenting on the accident above. But using it as a wake up call.

As a professional truck driver pulling 40 tons. My every day fear is that I will get in a situation were I lose control of the truck.

When you are towing. Follow these rules. Tow light. Tow slow. Tow only in good weather. If you have to ask yourself is this safe. The answer is always no.

Comment

Originally posted by 70Avanti2 View Post
        I am not commenting on the accident above. But using it as a wake up call.

As a professional truck driver pulling 40 tons. My every day fear is that I will get in a situation were I lose control of the truck.

When you are towing. Follow these rules. Tow light. Tow slow. Tow only in good weather. If you have to ask yourself is this safe. The answer is always no.
        Boy, I sure agree. I would never tow faster than about 55 MPH, and it scares me to be around people towing mobile homes or enclosed car trailers at 70 to 80 MPH. Just 2 months ago a pickup went past us doing about 75 while towing a fairly large mobile home. After a few minutes I told my friend that I could smell burning rubber. It wasn't long before the smell got stronger and soon sparks were flying off the right rear tire of the towed home. We got alongside the pickup to warn the driver what was happening to his home, but he just ignored us and thought we were nuts. Someone must have called the cops, because they soon pulled him over.

Comment

Damn. Didn't read the article, but I wonder what the details are.

It seems that people in general tend to have a laissez-faire attitude towards towing. We have seen it here many times on this forum. One of the biggest mistakes is not having a heavy duty enough vehicle for the load being pulled. It seems crazy, but we actually have/had a member that was towing a car on a trailer with a Sunbeam Tiger! Outrageously and obviously dangerous, yet not only does this person do that, some actually defended him. Insane.

I wonder if this instance was a case of way too big of a trailer for the vehicle, or inexperienced driver, or in adequate brakes or tires, or some combination of these. Tragic.
          Last edited by Bob Andrews; 06-22-2015, 01:24 PM.
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
          Romans 15:13
          Deuteronomy 31:6
          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

i agree with the above posts regarding trailer safety. but i wonder if the driver might have had a TIA (mini-stroke) or another health problem, given his age. sad!!!
            Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

We should all be wishing him well with a healthy recovery and condolences to the passenger's family..

Comment

(update 6/23)

No real new info, but the size of the travel trailer can be seen.

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

That's a pretty large trailer to tow with that small of a truck even for a short distance.

Comment

It looks like it is a Spartan Trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                      That's a pretty large trailer to tow with that small of a truck even for a short distance.
                      WAY too big. Exactly what I was talking about.
                      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                      Romans 15:13
                      Deuteronomy 31:6
                      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

The movie with Lucille Ball, 'The Long, Long Trailer' comes to mind looking at that photo of this one on its side.

I recall a few of those mammoth trailers around being towed by cars at one time, not like today where heavy-duty trucks and truck-chassis SUV's which are more suited for the job.

Craig
                        Last edited by 8E45E; 06-24-2015, 03:59 AM.

Comment

two words....... Trailer Brakes....

and not enough truck....

Condolences.....

Comment

... we sometimes out of defense of our marque get carried away with notions of grandeur: best engine, best truck, fastest car.... all part of the myths that can create trouble down the road.......

Comment

It does look like a lot of trailer for the truck. Having enough engine and drive train is not enough. For comfortable towing the tow vehicle needs to be heavier than the trailer by a good bit. I towed for a year or so with a Durango which had plenty of motor but was just too light. I tightened down the anti sway device until the parts of it started bending like a pretzel and still it was not enough. I had to add a second one.

(Spartan trailers are cool!)
                              Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Working...
                              X