Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

232cid and a BW T 10... Temporary fit for approving/ registration purposes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 232cid and a BW T 10... Temporary fit for approving/ registration purposes.

Hie.

I have a 1953 coupe, a 232 V8 that works pretty well, a ruined "flightomatic" and a Borg Warner T10 with a GM bellhousing...
    I wish to "mate" the engine and the T10 for a limited period.

The T10(and hardware like clutch etc) is going into the Coupe anyway, together with a more powerful engine, later on.

Howver, to get the car approved/registered in Norway, I have to show it with the original(or an authentic) engine.
    When the car is registered, I can put in an application to change the engine. The application at that point is more or less a formality. But things need to happen in that order...
    So, can the 232 and the T10 be mounted together, and if that's the case, what do I need to "get the job done"(except for another bellhousing...)?

I could send the Flightomatic somewhere to have it repaired, but I will not be needing it in the future, so that would be sort of wasted money...

I appreciate any pointers in the right direction.
    \"There are two speeds in life - flat out and faster\"(Burt Munro)

1953 Starliner(\"hot rod\" project)
    1953 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe(original - SOLD...).
    Proud member of SDC:-)

Kvinesdal, Norway(land of vikings and midnight sun) :-)

The Warner T-10, what car did it come from? Studebaker used the Chevy pattern T-10 in 1961 and 1962, but it had a Studebaker-specific input shaft in it. The Chevy shaft is too short, although there may be work-arounds for that. If it is a Studebaker-pattern T-10, then all you would need is a '61 or '62 four-speed-only bellhousing, flywheel, and clutch. And the crankshaft flange bolts in your present engine will be too short to mount a standard flywheel.

Are you sure the transmission in your car now is a Flightomatic? It would have had the Detroit DG-150 in it originally, I think.

Honestly, I think what you are proposing to do is too much work for no gain. You would, in effect, be doing the four-speed conversion twice. And it is no easy task. We haven't even spoken of clutch pedal, and driveshaft issues yet, either.

For registration purposes, I think the easier, and probably cheaper alternative, would be to determine for certain what the existing transmission is, and then buy a known-working used one, and have it shipped to Norway. Swap that in, get the car mobile, and get it registered, and then get the larger engine, and set it up properly with the 4-speed, and swap the entire unit into the car when the time is right.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Hie Gord.
      Thank you for the reply.

The automatic transmission is most likely the original. I allways call that one the Flight'o matic, but you are probably right, the correct name may very well be Detroit DG - 150. I have a reprint of the 1953 auto transmission shop manual, and my auto looks just like the one in that manual.

The T-10, ironically, came out of a 1955 coupe that a club that wanted to do an original resto on, had bought from an old hot rodder whose health was no good, no more...
      The T 10 came mounted to a hopped up 305 Chevy engine(excuse my "French"...:-) ).I also got the yoke that is supposed to go between the tranny and the intermediate shaft, and some other parts.

I see what you mean... To "go down that road" would maybe result in a lot of "wasted" problem solving/ "head ache"...

It seemed like a good plan in my head. I guess that is why it's important to get other peoples oppinion sometimes:-)

I will have to see if I can have the old automatic serviced, if a working tranny can be sourced from the States or if a classic car club in Eastern Norway that only "deals with" "Orphant Cars", can lend or let/rent me one.
      I guess I will have to research that option then.

Comment

Jerry Kurst probably has a serviced DG 150.
        He deals in transmissions and rebuilds the 1953-56 Detroit Gear transmissions.
        He goes by jerestude on this forum.
        Cell phone 717 266 0509
        The Detroit Gear transmissions were also used by Mercedes,
        Jaguar , Humber and several British cars , Hudson (1954 only)
        If your does not work properly try to find a shop in Norway that services these and adjust the bands.
        I stock almost all parts for these.

Robert Kapteyn
        Last edited by rkapteyn; 06-22-2015, 05:48 AM.

Comment

That is a lot of potetially very useful information for me, Robert. Thank you.
          I will check around a bit more what service/ help I can actually obtain here in Norway, and if that does not "bear fruits", I will go with the "get parts(or a complete tranny) from the States" - option.

I didn't know that the Detroit trannys were used by e.g Mercedes and Jaguar. That may help. I appreciate the info:-)

Comment

IF you were going to do the Stude. 232 V8 to Borg Warner T-10 4 Speed combo, you would need either a '61-'62 Chevy. Case T-10 and the matching Clutch Housing OR the '63-'64 Ford/Stude. Case T-10 and it's matching bolt pattern Clutch Housing plus a lot of special 4 Speed Clutch Shafts, Levers, Brackets etc. also a Shifter.

If I did this I sure would want to keep that setup!
            But an easier method is to borrow a friend's complete Stude. Engine and Auto. Trans setup, install and register it, then return it.

I hope you have a Lot of close, Local good Friends!
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Funny guy in the Evergreen State:-)
              Thanks anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                IF you were going to do the Stude. 232 V8 to Borg Warner T-10 4 Speed combo, you would need either a '61-'62 Chevy. Case T-10 and the matching Clutch Housing OR the '63-'64 Ford/Stude. Case T-10 and it's matching bolt pattern Clutch Housing plus a lot of special 4 Speed Clutch Shafts, Levers, Brackets etc. also a Shifter.

If I did this I sure would want to keep that setup!
                But an easier method is to borrow a friend's complete Stude. Engine and Auto. Trans setup, install and register it, then return it.

I hope you have a Lot of close, Local good Friends!
                Rich - I think that you missed or skipped over two important points.

1) In his first post, he states; "Howver, to get the car approved/registered in Norway, I have to show it with the original(or an authentic) engine."

2) He is in Norway. There are only 16 SDC members in the whole country, per my SDC Roster.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                X