PDA

View Full Version : Fuel System: Carter fuel pump

kamzack
06-21-2015, 02:56 PM
Possible to swap an Airtex Six cylinder pump arm into an eight cylinder Carter pump? Or if someone has a six rebuildable Carter pump, I'd be interested in it. Or if someone has a six Carter arm from a non rebuildable pump, I'd take that. Or is Dave Thibeault only source for those items?
Have oil leaking Airtex now and want to get rid of it.
And once again, we thank you for your support,
Kim

StudeRich
06-21-2015, 05:22 PM
This is the very FIRST I have ever heard of an Airtex or AC SIX CYLINDER Fuel Pump leaking Oil or having any problem at all.

As far as I know there never were any Carter pumps for SIXES the Majority by far if not ALL including NOS, were all AC which is the Design that Airtex reproduced, you MAY be chasing a Unicorn! :ohmy:

Is this for the '55 to '64 170 Engine?

Here are Pics of one of several I have on the Shelf For Sale Today, that look to me to be so well sealed at the driven Pin in the actuator Lever as not to be a leaking Problem like many of the Airtex V8's were.

45011 45013

By the way, there is NO way an Airtex Six lever is going to fit a Carter V8 Fuel Pump.

kamzack
06-22-2015, 03:18 AM
Well, don't have a need for a unicorn. Didn't know Carter didn't make a pump for a six. I always kept at least 1 V8 pump rebuilt on hand but don't have a V8 engine at the moment. Over the years when I'd purchased a V8 Studebaker first 2 things I'd change would be fuel pump and distributor. Old style Delco and Carter fuel pump. Have an 8 bought, haven't gone to get it yet.
It's for a crack head six. This my first experience with a late six since early eighties and what I remember most is changing heads and having seat cracks repaired.
Price for your pictured pump?
Once again we thank you for support,
Kim
(proof read twice)

StudeRich
06-23-2015, 02:45 PM
/Cut/Price for your pictured pump?
Once again we thank you for support, Kim
(proof read twice)

PM sent to you. :)

colt45sa
06-24-2015, 10:29 AM
Possible to swap an Airtex Six cylinder pump arm into an eight cylinder Carter pump? Or if someone has a six rebuildable Carter pump, I'd be interested in it. Or if someone has a six Carter arm from a non rebuildable pump, I'd take that. Or is Dave Thibeault only source for those items?
Have oil leaking Airtex now and want to get rid of it.
And once again, we thank you for your support,
Kim Don't ever, ever, ever buy an Airtex. They are worse than junk. Six months after installing it you will be squirting fuel all over the driveway and filling the crankcase with gasoline. There are a number of people will rebuild the original Carter and istall an alcohol resistant diaphram.

TWChamp
06-24-2015, 07:10 PM
Don't ever, ever, ever buy an Airtex. They are worse than junk. Six months after installing it you will be squirting fuel all over the driveway and filling the crankcase with gasoline. There are a number of people will rebuild the original Carter and istall an alcohol resistant diaphram.

I've heard the same from a few people. I have a 1950 Champion and can rebuild my own single and dual diaphram pumps, but I wonder who sells a seal and diaphram that really work and holds up to the crap gas?

kamzack
06-24-2015, 08:57 PM
I've bought Carter kits from Dave Thibeault for the V8's. Kits have the material to work with crappy gas. I've been on the lookout for Carter cores to rebuild for myself. As I mentioned above I always changed out fuel pumps to Carter. I also have always heard and experienced weak airtex pumps, so won't use them. I guess I am in fact looking for a unicorn in trying to find Carter for 6 cylinder. As I mentioned, not had an OHV six since early eighties.
O'rielys does have a precision brand, but know that it would be any better.
And we thank you for your support,
Kim

StudeRich
06-25-2015, 02:19 AM
We are talking about Apples and Oranges here folks, not Unicorns!

The NLA V8 Carter Pumps are the best, and all of what has been said here is very true & refers to them AND the Poor quality Airtex V8 Pumps.

However the 6 Cylinder Pumps are just a completely DIFFERENT Story, as I said back in Post #2, there have been little to no problems with them as the design is completely different, they are clones of the OEM Studebaker AC Pumps.

kamzack
06-25-2015, 08:02 PM
Once again, I've learned from Rich, always look for those responses as they're typically 991/2 % accurate. Also learned today from Dave "Tebow" that the best functioning pump is A/C. I put my pump together from an NOS and one rebuilt pump. One with glass bowl and other shorter and metal bowl. Glass bowl wouldn't clear motor mount cross member so use shorter part of other pump. Today I learned from Dave they use the same pump as pre 55 Champion 6s with the offset. So he's gonna build one for me and my pump issue will be settled. No more unicorn hunting for me!
Again, we thank you for your support,
Kim

StudeRich
06-26-2015, 02:38 AM
So I guess this means you are not taking the New correct one for later models you asked me about and got a Price on? But getting a cobbled together Half early pump & Half late Pump? :confused:

63t-cab
06-26-2015, 09:03 AM
Hopefully this is Your answer, Dave has NEVER steered Me wrong with any work or info!

Once again, I've learned from Rich, always look for those responses as they're typically 991/2 % accurate. Also learned today from Dave "Tebow" that the best functioning pump is A/C. I put my pump together from an NOS and one rebuilt pump. One with glass bowl and other shorter and metal bowl. Glass bowl wouldn't clear motor mount cross member so use shorter part of other pump. Today I learned from Dave they use the same pump as pre 55 Champion 6s with the offset. So he's gonna build one for me and my pump issue will be settled. No more unicorn hunting for me!
Again, we thank you for your support,
Kim