Truck Identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truck Identification

I'm hoping someone can go to http://sourdoughexpress.com/history.html and identify the year and model of the Studebaker fuel truck and coal truck that are pictured on the left of the page. I'm not familiar with Stude trucks but maybe '53 or '54? I'd also like to know if the bodies (tank and dump bed) were Studebaker or aftermarket. Would it be hard to find one today? Thanks for sharing your knowlege.

Jeb

Both are 1949 - 1953 2R series trucks.

Comment

Studebaker did not make truck bodies. Trucks with those particular bodies would be almost impossible to find though the cab and chassis could probably be located with some patience.
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Thanks for the information. I didn't know the bodies would be rare. Did the trucks change much from '49 to '53?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeb View Post
          Thanks for the information. I didn't know the bodies would be rare. Did the trucks change much from '49 to '53?
          The reason you were told '49-'53 is that they could be ANY of the FIVE Years, they are all the SAME.

The '54 to '56's Have the 4 Rectangle Grill opening,

Click image for larger version

Name:	56Transtar,075TonGreen.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	1697591 A 1956 3/4 Ton Click image for larger version

Name:	Diesel Stakebed.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	1697592 I believe this is a 1963, 1 Ton Diesel

..............................................and the '57 to '64 "C" Cabs have the Fiberglass massive Three Posts in the Grille.
          Last edited by StudeRich; 06-20-2015, 11:41 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The two piece windshield places the truck as between 1949 and 1953. The 1954 trucks had a one piece windshield and retained the 2R hood but had a different grille (designated 3R series). The 1955 models were E series and had a larger rear window and the "V" hood ornament. 1956 models had the cutout at the front with the Studebaker name inserted. 1957 through 1964 trucks had the fiberglass "buck tooth" grille.

As Mr. Quinn point out, Studebaker only manufactured the cab and chassis units. Edwards Iron Works in South Bend provided some bodies, many were dealer installed.

Comment

Thanks for teaching me the differences. I'm really not a truck guy but it's good to be able to identify them. I am always trying to discover local Studebaker history and I harbor the secret hope to someday discover a vehicle puchased and used in Alaska. I have found photos of a '51 four door used as a taxi in Fairbanks and a picture from the twenties of the Valdez Transportation Co. showing a dozen Studes used to transport tourists to Denali Park (Mt. McKinley). They must have been tough cars to handle the Old Valdez Trail into the interior. I have seen other photos of the cars traveling in a group through Keystone Canyon and helping each other cross rivers. There weren't any bridges at the time. US6s from WW2 pop up occationally but most have been converted to tundra buggies with ballon tires with chains. Seems nothing beats the US6 as a wilderness access vehicle. The only other photo I have seen was a Champ on an Anchorage street after the 1964 earthquake. It was nose down in a huge crack in the street, perfectly angled to display STUDEBAKER on the tailgate. It had a set of moose antlers in the bed. I found the picture of the fuel and coal trucks while researching local energy supply history. Thank you for helping me to satisfy my curiosity.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                Studebaker did not make truck bodies. Trucks with those particular bodies would be almost impossible to find though the cab and chassis could probably be located with some patience.
                I located a '57-'64 Stude fuel truck used by the same company pictured on the web page link from my original post. The Studes pictured in the link are '49-'53 but I haven't found them yet. The bodys both fuel trucks are similar but not exact but I would bet the same company made both bodies. The body on this truck was built by Clough Equipment Services from Washington State. The truck could be available if someone were interested. The owners aren't sure what they are going to do with it. Here are a couple of pictures.Click image for larger version

Name:	Stude Fuel Truck.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	1699114Click image for larger version

Name:	Stude Truck Body.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	1699113

Comment

Working...
                X