PDA

View Full Version : 1991 Avantis

studegary
06-20-2015, 02:07 PM
Where are all of the 1991 Avantis? Perhaps they are stored away waiting to become antiques.

I believe that there were either 15 (my old information) or 17 (John Hull's recent ['08] book) built.

I do not remember seeing a used one for sale. I saw one at an SDC International Convention years ago. The AOAI Roster that I have lists three owners, but two are for the same VIN (-08 in FL) car and one does not list a VIN (in CA).

Do any of you SDC Forum members own one or know of one?

64V-K7
06-20-2015, 02:16 PM
I have a few listed.....

http://www.studebaker-info.org/AvantiAAV.html#1991

studegary
06-20-2015, 02:39 PM
I have a few listed.....

http://www.studebaker-info.org/AvantiAAV.html#1991

Thanks, Bob J. I did not think of your site when I posed the question. You have eight different 1991s listed as being accounted for at some point over the years. That is about 50% of the production. I wonder how many of those are with the owners that you have listed.

PS: One of the 1990s that you have listed is now for sale on eBay, as a flood recovery, by a dealer.

64V-K7
06-20-2015, 09:31 PM
Back in 1997, while on the way to the International Meet, I stopped in Youngstown for a look-see at the plant and to checkon purchasing a few items. The fellow there at the time was Bob Lucarrell (sp?) and he fortunately had some help with him, which allowed us the time to go through the factory. It was like a time warp with the work just stopped in its tracks and 1/4" of dust on everything.
In the interior "safe room', there were two unsold 1991 Avanti convertibles, one Red/Black, one White/Maroon offered at around 40K. He also told of a number of cars that were taken on consignment by various "dealers", which were never paid for...... and never seen again...

64V-K7
06-20-2015, 09:33 PM
One of the 1990s that you have listed is now for sale on eBay, as a flood recovery, by a dealer.

Yes, I inquired regarding the "flood" and was told the water just made it up to the floor. However, if you look at many of the pictures, it appears that there are rust spots on everything, even the air cleaner. In light of that and the amount of wear and tear, the price is a bit unrealistic....

studegary
06-21-2015, 03:19 PM
Back in 1997, while on the way to the International Meet, I stopped in Youngstown for a look-see at the plant and to checkon purchasing a few items. The fellow there at the time was Bob Lucarrell (sp?) and he fortunately had some help with him, which allowed us the time to go through the factory. It was like a time warp with the work just stopped in its tracks and 1/4" of dust on everything.
In the interior "safe room', there were two unsold 1991 Avanti convertibles, one Red/Black, one White/Maroon offered at around 40K. He also told of a number of cars that were taken on consignment by various "dealers", which were never paid for...... and never seen again...

I wonder if those two 1991s at the factory account for the difference between my old number of 15 built and John's newer number of 17.

I stopped there on my way home, but the place wasn't open when I got there.

studegary
06-21-2015, 03:22 PM
Yes, I inquired regarding the "flood" and was told the water just made it up to the floor. However, if you look at many of the pictures, it appears that there are rust spots on everything, even the air cleaner. In light of that and the amount of wear and tear, the price is a bit unrealistic....

If the water was only up to the floor, I would think that the insurance company would have paid for new carpeting and a few other things, rather than declaring that Avanti a total loss.

I think that the price is too high without the flood/salvage title part. I always prefer to see an auction on eBay, rather than just a stated price.

mbstude
06-21-2015, 11:29 PM
Gary, I believe Weldon Critcher in North Carolina has 2 '91 Avantis. He had some major health issues recently, but I don't know anything more than that.

studegary
06-22-2015, 12:22 PM
Gary, I believe Weldon Critcher in North Carolina has 2 '91 Avantis. He had some major health issues recently, but I don't know anything more than that.

Thanks, Matt. He owns 12% of them. He is not listed in my AOAI Roster as owning them, but he is in my SDC Roster as owning one. He is in the AOAI Roster - he just doesn't have Avantis listed.