Frame vin #location 1959 silver Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Frame vin #location 1959 silver Hawk

I'm new so bear with me. Is the vin # stamped on the frame? Also what is the exact operation of the overdrive? Is it like a GM or Ford? Thank you.

If you own a computer go to Google and search for https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...mbers+on+frame

and https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...aker+Overdrive.
    You get all the andwers you need

If you need parts go to http://www.studebakerstore.com/Stude...m/Welcome.html

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

THanks I'll give it a try.

Comment

You should be able to find the serial number (VIN) stamped on the bottom flange of the last crossmember at the rear of the car (behind the gas tank).
        Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
        '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
        '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
        '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

I sure hope so Howard. I went today to register my 59 wagon & since it hasn't been registered since 1979 they require a vin inspection in 2 places. This car had a rusted floor that had the strength of a graham cracker. I doubt the number on the rear x-member will still show. I'm tempted to stamp my own numbers there.
          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
          64 Zip Van
          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

OH my gosh Warren, it sounds like the Staters down there in Calif. have gone completely off the DEEP END!
            You mean they actually changed the rules AGAIN? They have only looked at ONE Serial number for a whole LOT of years.

I wonder if they would be more sane at the California Highway Patrol instead of the Bozos at the DMV?

If the Serial number plate looks Factory without screws etc. that should be plenty good enough, on a Stude. that old it would be quite rare to have a readable Frame Serial Number.

Some of my Dry Calif. Cars always Garaged, can be read but any left outside or near the Coast or up here in the Rain country can NOT be.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

It's been that way since at least 2010, when I brought my 55 in from out of state.
              AAA does not do out of state transfers.
              I found and lightly sanded the serial number at the rear crossmember.
              The DMV required 2 serial numbers.
              I layed a carpet under the car, handed a flashlight and mirror to the lady there and showed her where to look.
              She believed me when I told her the serial number was there.
              Got the car registered, no problem.
              South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Perhaps Northern Calif. AAA doesn't do out of state transfers but So. Cal. AAA did my wife's 85 Mercedes 380SL last july when we brought it down from Washington. I just started the transfer of my 59 wagon this week that came from Northern Calif. & was told they needed to do a vin inspection seeing it in 2 places due to the fact that the car has been out of the computer system since 78 as far as I can tell. My concern is if the frame is rusted so the numbers wont show up, then what? They told me at Auto Club that if the second set wasn't visible then I would have to take it to CHP for them to inspect.
                59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                64 Zip Van
                66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I drove my 55 to the DMV office to verify the second serial number. I had a "one trip permit" from the California DMV which allowed me to drive it from out of state and to drive it in state till I got it registered.
                  The woman there really wasn't favorable to laying, kneeling or stooping down to look at the stamped numbers under the car.
                  The factory numbers really were there, faint but if you looked closely, visible. There was no way that she could have seen the numbers with the cursory glance she took.
                  CHP will be much more thorough.
                  To save yourself the trouble of getting the CHP involved it may be worth your time to try a trip to the DMV.
                  Since your car has been "off the road" for so many years. If you are asked to make it easier for them to crawl around under the car. DO NOT offload your car into the parking lot at the DMV or the CHP office. If it touches state property it will be liable for fees.
                  South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Sometimes the winters are tough but man am I glad I live in Montana where common sense still prevails.

Comment

I was unaware that there was a second VIN on a Studebaker and my brothers and I have owned plenty. Any idea where it might be on an Avanti?

Just licensed a RQB-1703 as a 65 Studebaker Avanti and got Antique plates for it. Maine is a non title state for cars over 10 years old. Took my eBay bill of sale to the town clerk, she figured out sales and excise tax, I wrote a check and she handed me the registration and new plates. Car is in the barn, engine on a stand, and transmission over in the Hanger.

California sent me a big fine for driving my No-Op'd 63 Avanti in California. Took months to get the fines reversed and tne Non-Op status reinstated. Took them a long time to figure out that a car on jacks for 15 years 3,000 miles away did not operate on California roads any time recently.

Comment

I suggested to a friend in PA that had that DMV problem to use a dymo tool embossed strip and glued it to the frame and coated it with under coating in a spay can and blew dust over it and they were non the wiser.
                        Robert Kapteyn

See http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...+serial+number
                        Last edited by rkapteyn; 06-26-2015, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X