Kingpin assembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kingpin assembly

I've sort of turned the corner on my current project, and I'm starting to re-assemble the front suspension on my 51 Commander. I've got a question about installing the thrust bearing on the kingpin. Is there a right way and a wrong way for the bearing to face? The bearing has what you might call an inside piece, and an outside piece. The outside piece has the bearing numbers stamped on it, and is sort of a cup-shaped piece that contains the rest of the bearing. Should the face with the numbers go up or down on the kingpin? From the drawing in the parts catalog, it looks to me like the numbers should go down, toward the steering knuckle. Maybe it really doesn't matter, but I don't expect to have this disassembled again for a long time.

Jim Beckman
    Leonardo, NJ
    1951 Commander Starlight

The cup side will go against knuckle shoulder, so when installed in car cup will be facing down. It would probably work either way but faced up
    would let water and such down in the bearing.

Comment

You mean against the shoulder of the knuckle, or of the kingpin? The bearing goes on top of the knuckle. I agree that it seems like the cup part of the bearing should point down, one more way to keep water and stuff out of the bearing, but the drawing shows it the other way. I'm inclined to point the cup down anyway.

Jim Beckman
      Leonardo, NJ
      1951 Commander Starlight

Comment

Jim; other forum members have noticed that the spindles are actually upside down! We reminded them that the Parts Catalog is just that, for identification of the parts to get the correct part number for ordering. It was NEVER intended to be an assembly guide! [:0]

We also said, it is often used for that because the Shop Manual pics are not always that good or even existing. The shop manual is one of the very best in the industry, but it was intended to be used by factory trained Technicians, so is not always written to the occasional backyard mechanic or non-Stude. familiar mechanic. [^]

Bottom line :use the Shop manual! [:0]

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I meant kingpin. I screwed up.

Comment

Jim; other forum members have noticed that the spindles are actually upside down! We reminded them that the Parts Catalog is just that, for identification of the parts to get the correct part number for ordering. It was NEVER intended to be an assembly guide!
            -------------------------

Ah, yes, that may have been me, too. I was confused by the position of another part in that drawing. The drawings are so nice, and I was taking them too literally, I guess. This project is certainly educational, and this forum is a fantastic resource. Thanks for the help.

Jim Beckman
            Leonardo, NJ
            1951 Commander Starlight

Comment

Working...
            X