Turn signals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Turn signals

Turn signals and all lights work ok except the dash indicators flash dimly together when turning either way. I had the speedo housing out to clean the dash bulbs and the indicators flashed correctly briefly. I added a ground wire from the back of the speedo head to the bolt that holds the parking brake lever to the bottom of the dash to no avail. Should I ground the dash another way or add a ground strap from the firewall to the frame? The car is a 57 Commander.

If you figure it out, let me know... my indicators (and flasher) have given me fits for years. Now the left flashes fast (as if a bulb is burned out), but all checks out OK. "New" flashers are a joke. I got three bad ones in a row from NAPA. I would bring my meter in when they called and said my order was in.... I took the first one home before discovering it was bad... after that I brought the meter with me.

Comment

Ok will do.

Comment

Two lamps lighting dimly instead of one lighting up brightly is usually an indication of a bad ground somewhere.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
          Two lamps lighting dimly instead of one lighting up brightly is usually an indication of a bad ground somewhere.
          I agree with Skip.
          It's rare, but one time I found a bulb that was defective internally and not giving a good ground, so it wouldn't hurt to try a known good bulb also.

Comment

On '57 Sedans and Wagons the Problem usually is that the Parking light Lense screws are expected to do multifunctions, Hold the Lenses, the Lamp Sockets AND Ground them, a poor/loose connection there is likely your problem.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Check if the ground strap on the right front engine mount is missing or not connected.This causes all kind of problems

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

So did ya FIX it, did ya, huh?
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Not yet....

Comment

Working...
                  X